Work capability assessment decision timeframe — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work capability assessment decision timeframe

Options
Username094
Username094 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all 

what is the expectation on how long it takes for a work capability assessment decision? 

I’m currently at 9 weeks and have chased 4 times and been told there’s no news. 

My assessment was cut short towards the end too because the assessor felt they had enough information.  Feels a bit disheartening waiting so long I’m not sure what is happening when the guidance says it takes “a few weeks”.

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Username094, sorry to hear they're dragging things on for so long with your decision. I'm afraid I cant give you a firm answer to that as times can vary.  Hopefully they wont keep you waiting much longer! 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For ESA it's up to about 12 weeks, sometimes longer. If your report was chosen for audit this will delay the decision being made so this could be why it's taking a while. 

When it comes to decision timescales, there's not really any guidance, backlogs are just part of the reason a decision can be delayed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Username094
    Username094 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi both thanks for the reply ,

it does seem a while is it unusual for it to take such a long time?

Would it have anything to do with my pip being up for renewal soon if it has been selected for audit ? 

I know they’re separate benefits for different reasons but I have seen the DWP in some situations use ESA reports in PIP application feedback so I’m wondering if this is an opportunity to see how I’m doing from my ESA application before i re apply for pip in the next few months. It might be a coincidence but it has me wondering what’s going on in the background. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's really not unusual for an ESA WCA decision to take this long. UC can be quicker because of there being a journal. 

If it was chosen for audit this will have no bearing on a PIP review. Sometimes they may share information from one benefit to another but with ESA and PIP it's rare they do that.

I don't believe your PIP review being due soon is affecting any possible decision made on the ESA. It just one of those times where a decision is taking longer than you thought it would. It happens unfortunately. 

You can contact the Health Assessment Advisory Service and ask if the report has been returned to DWP and they will tell you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gigi77
    gigi77 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @Username094 I think it varies greatly as people say.  My experience was . My form was returned back for November 6th 2023 then   I randomly received a text message February 6th 2024 saying they’d received details of my work capability assessment and to not send any more fit notes .  I’d had a paper based work capability.  But when I requested the report it had stated that the decision was made Monday January 22nd 2024.  Although I received a text message Feb 6th I didn’t receive a letter explaining the decision and what group I was placed in until the following weekend. This was my first ever claim as well for new style ESA.  N 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.