PIP for ADHD help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP for ADHD help

Options
TrueBlue22
TrueBlue22 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, 

My husband has ADHD and made an application to PIP nearly two years ago. He had an assessment on the phone, and then received his decision saying that because he could drive a manual car, they were unable to give him points on the majority of tasks. The only points he received were for mixing with others.

He put in an MR and this too was rejected, not on the driving this time but because he is my full time carer. I do understand the logic in what they say, but also it's not really applicable to his situation.

Roll on two years and things have changed, we now have an automatic car due to the fact that my husband actually found it very difficult driving a manual car and medication hasn't fully helped him. 

Is it possible for him to apply again after so much time has passed? Also, would he be able to claim PIP even though he is in receipt of carers allowance for me? 

I hope someone is able to help. Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    He can reapply at anytime. However, doing so using the same evidence he previously used could see another refusal, even though it's been 2 years. Being refused because you drive a car is one of the copy and paste reasons for not awarding points in descriptors. 

Was there any reason why he didn't take it to Tribunal the first time? The most likely outcome of any MR decision is the decision will remain the same. 

Many people claim carers allowance for looking after someone and PIP at the same time, myself included. There shouldn't be any issues providing your caring duties do not contradict the reasons why you're claiming PIP. 

If he applies again then I'd advise him to fill out the forms with as much relevant information as possible. Also include a coupe of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time he attempted each descriptor that applies to him. Adding detailed information such as where he was, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. 

Please also bear in mind that PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @TrueBlue22

I see Poppy has given some great advice :) I wanted to comment and welcome you to the community! I hope you are well today? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • TrueBlue22
    TrueBlue22 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    @poppy123456 thank you so much for your reply. The reason we didn't take it to appeal was because of me. As soon as they called into question him claiming carers allowance for me, it frightened me because my first thought was that it would affect my PIP. 
    I have a mental health problem which was heavily triggered when I transferred from DLA to PIP.
    I hope that makes sense.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would not have affected your PIP because that’s your claim, not anyone else’s. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.