New health issue

pjgumna
pjgumna Community member Posts: 32 Connected
edited March 14 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
I am currently receiving pip but I have a new health disability.  Will my pip stop if I declare this new disability?
Thanks 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,906 Championing
    Hello @pjgumna

Can I ask, has this new disability been going on for a while? When you report changes to PIP, they can decide, or you can decide to be reassessed if you feel it means you need more support. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,330 Championing
    Hi @pjgumna - I'm sorry you have a new disability, but PIP isn't based on disabilities as such, rather how these impact on your functional ability with regard to the PIP descriptors. You do not have to mention any new diagnoses to the DWP unless you've had them for 3 months or more, & you also feel that you may get more points. So, first look at the PIP descriptors again: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2023.pdf to see if you think you 'may' gain sufficient points to increase your award. There's no point taking any action if you already have an enhanced award for both components, as this can't be increased, nor if you don't feel your award could increase.
    If you do notify the DWP of your additional disability, then this is considered a 'Change of circumstances.' This would result in you being sent a new PIP claim form, & you'd likely have another assessment, etc. Your current PIP award might then stay the same, increase or decrease, so this all has to be kept in mind.
  • pjgumna
    Hi the new disability affects my mobility and I've had it longer than 3 months. At the moment I receive the standard daily living component for the last 4 years. I am concerned that if I tell them about my new disability they will stop my pip payments as I use them for telecare service as I'm at risk and I won't be able to afford it if they stop my pip for another assessment. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    Yes you could go onto lose everything you already have by reporting changes. 

You should never report changes unless you’re 100% sure it’s possible to score more points needed for a higher award. 
  • pjgumna
    My shoulder had severe trauma and its limited my abilities to dress myself for example. I cannot raise my arm more than a few inches. At the moment I am receiving physio therapy but my therapist has been frank with me and has told me that there will never be anymore improvement and she will just try to build up some strength in the shoulder.  This trauma occurred in December.  I can only use my arm for limited tasks. I'm using my other arm for limited tasks. I can't take out the rubbish to the communal bins as the lids are too heavy for me to lift. I can't tie my laces as im in excruciating pain. have to have assistance to dress, wear a coat etc and to get in and out of the shower. My son installed a grab bar on the bathroom shower wall but I can only use the one arm and I'm at risk of slipping. So do I have in your opinion a 100% chance of claiming for this new condition?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,054 Championing
    The only ones that have a 100% chance are those applying through end of life with at least 12 months left to live. 

For everyone else there’s never a 100% chance. There’s always a risk to your current award when reporting changes. A new health condition doesn’t automatically entitle you to more points for a higher award. 
  • pjgumna
    OK thank you for your advice. I'll wait for my review as I can't afford to lose my pip as it pays the cost of my telecare services