Neurodiversity Celebration Week, 18th to 24th March 2024. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Neurodiversity Celebration Week, 18th to 24th March 2024.

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team

Next week marks a very special week for those of us who are 'neuro-spicy' it's a week to learn about the neurodiverse brain, how we think and how others can understand and help us better.

When it comes to inclusion, neurodiversity means understanding and respecting the differences in how our brains work, just like we appreciate other variations among people. 

Everyone thinks, moves, processes information, and communicates in their own way based on how their brains are wired. In our community, neurodiversity is an umbrella term used to describe various thinking styles like Dyslexia, DCD (Dyspraxia), Dyscalculia, Autism, and ADHD. But beyond labels, it's about valuing those who have unique perspectives. Whether you're a school, university, or organization, having diverse thinkers can be a real asset! 

Around 15-20% of the population has a neurological difference. Instead of focusing on deficits or disorders, embracing neurodiversity means recognizing an individual's strengths and challenges equally. The difficulties neurodivergent individuals encounter usually stem from the environments and systems they navigate, which are typically designed by the majority. We're often described as "square pegs in a world full of round holes."

Every neurodivergent person has their own sets of strengths and weaknesses and people need to start seeing us that way, instead of generic training and therapies that might work for one person, but not another with the same diagnosis. 

Neurodiversity celebration week has set up a week full of amazing events and talks online that are all free and links to the recordings will be sent out if you sign up.

Here's a link to all of the events!

This week can be of great use to people with friends who are neurodiverse, or even for those of us who just want to learn a bit more about ourselves.  If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer if I can. 

xAlbusx 

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A great week of events! <3 Has anyone in the community registered to watch any of them? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,118 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've just been having a look & am interested in some. Does the fact that they are being recorded mean that you can also watch them later if you register?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes :) They say;
    Links to the recordings will be sent via email post-event, so please make sure you register for the events so that you don't miss out!
    Hannah - She / Her

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 589 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks for this information, I have registered for some of the sessions that are applicable to me. With autism and ADHD I am always learning new things and understanding myself more and the reason why I do what I do at times, and the way I act at times.

I have recently discovered I have Alexithymia, Interoception (the inability to know when I'm hungry or need the toilet till desperate) and RSD. Its all facinating but I am learning more about my limits.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• jackfruittiger31
    jackfruittiger31 Scope Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for this information. I am bringing these events to the attention of all my martial arts students and encouraging them to register where they can to increase their understanding of neurodiversity. As a  result I hope that it helps them when making the necessary adjustments to their coaching.
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for this information, much appreciated. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,063 Scope online community team
    Options
    I think there's still a huge lack of understanding around neurodiversity so anything that helps address that is a good thing in my eyes. I'm working for most of the sessions but have signed up to a few so that I can receive the recordings and watch in my own time. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.