Advice needed for a newbie — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed for a newbie

Options
sheephops
sheephops Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have a job that requires me to talk. A LOT. I have recently acquired a condition that means that sometimes I cannot speak (it's random and unpredictable). I've been off work for several months (partly to do with this new condition and partly because the meds the medics gave me damaged my liver. Long story). Having recently returned to work, I'm now experiencing what it's like to not be able to talk at work and it's not good from the point of view that someone has to step in whenever it happens - something that the workplace's budget, in reality, cannot sustain. I cannot see how this is going to get any better. Reasonable adjustments are all very well, but when I cannot talk I am unable to fulfil the job. Is there a chance of medical retirement with something like this or an I barking up the wrong tree?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @sheephops

Welcome to the community! :) I am sorry to hear you have been so unwell. Have you got support around you? It's great to hear your workplace are helping with adjustments. Can I ask, would the company allow any software or equipment that will translate text to speech? 

Scope has a page on ill health retirement that you may find helpful to read :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • sheephops
    sheephops Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Hannah, thanks for your response. Yes, I do have help around me and a good union rep at work. The idea of software for text to speech is definitely worth a try and is an adjustment that we should talk about, however my context might not make it the ideal as I'm moving around a lot (I'm also physically disabled (I walk with a rollator), which adds to the rich tapestry here). Any other ideas?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.