Hi, my name is SusieB! I'm appointee for my disabled son. ESA and UC support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SusieB! I'm appointee for my disabled son. ESA and UC support

Options
SusieB
SusieB Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello 
im appointee for my disabled son, he was on old style esa and stupidly took a job which lasted 4 days. I rang old style esa and was told to put in a mandatory reconsideration, I now know that was the wrong advice. I waited 7 weeks to be told he needed to apply for new style esa which I did and they said he qualified, after a week I was rang to say he should apply for UC. By this time we had gone 8 weeks with no money except his DLA. I contacted my local mp who put a complaint in to Dwp. It came back and said that when I applied to UC I had asked for his ESa claim to be closed, definitely did not happen. So he has gone from 427 every two weeks to 368 a month on UC and having to fill in a UC50. 
This is so unfair and his mental health is suffering.
Any advice would be gratefully accepted 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When he started working did he ring ESA and his claim ended? Was the job more or less than 16 hours per week? 

Do you know if any part of his ESA was contributions based? Or was it all Income Related? 

When he claimed UC this automatically sends a notification to ESA to say that a claim has been submitted. That will then end any Income Related ESA you’re claiming after 2 weeks. However, if his ESA claim had ended anyway then that’s a moot point. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SusieB
    Options
    Yes I rang and informed them, he worked 24 hours and he was part contribution based and income related.
    i was contact the next day after applying for new style esa to say he was eligible to claim it. Another decision maker called me a week later to say he needed to claim Uc to get housing benefit but at no time in that call was their mention of closing the esa claim. He also qualified for SDP on his old esa. He missing out all because I was give. The wrong advice by old style esa and then new style esa closed the case as I had applied for UC. So unfair 
  • SusieB
    Options
    ESA closed his case not me, it makes no sense for me to do that as it prevents him from benefitting from the 12 week linking rule and should of prevented him from been assessed by UC
  • ShelinaKay1
    ShelinaKay1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi I am new to this online community
    I have had a condition since 2021 that prevents me from living life as normal so I’ve been housebound. I can relate to what you are saying as I haven’t received any benefits except standard allowance and housing benefit the whole time. I don’t know who to speak to about it all and the process. Has anyone got any advice? I didn’t want to take medication and was refused pip. So not sure what to do
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SusieB said:
    Yes I rang and informed them, he worked 24 hours and he was part contribution based and income related.
    i was contact the next day after applying for new style esa to say he was eligible to claim it. Another decision maker called me a week later to say he needed to claim Uc to get housing benefit but at no time in that call was their mention of closing the esa claim. He also qualified for SDP on his old esa. He missing out all because I was give. The wrong advice by old style esa and then new style esa closed the case as I had applied for UC. So unfair 
    A claim for New style ESA wouldn't close if you claim UC because New style ESA isn't means tested. My only thoughts are that his old ESA before he started working was all Income Related but I can't say for certain because I can't see any paper work. 

If it was all Income Related then the 12 week linking rule wouldn't have been possible and it would have meant a claim for UC anyway. 

As this is so complex I'm going to advise you to get some expert advice from an agency near you. This way you can take all the paper work and get the correct advice. Sometimes it's just not possible to get this level of advice from an internet forum. This link will help you find an advice agency near him.welfare-benefits
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SusieB
    Options
    No it was definitely both, when the complaint come back from DWp they said I had requested to close his new style ESA claim which I had just opened a week before and decision maker said he was entitled to it. I had definitely not said that. I have challenged it through my MP but it has prevented him from automatically going in the LWRCA group of UC. I’m so frustrated the stress this has caused is unbelievable. We have had nothing for him to live on other than  his DLA. He has to live independently due to his behaviour. 
  • SusieB
    Options
    Well to add to my story I have had a call today from job centre plus and someone from ESA is going to ring me next week to verify me been appointee. The case is live and not closed.
    where does that leave us? We have had one month UC and one month backdated of 368.
    im hoping he will go back in the support group as it is within twelve weeks of his original ESA. But I’m filling in UC50 which has to be back by 2 nd April 
    Anyone make sense of this as I’m so confused 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @susieB I am so sorry to read what you are going through. I unfortunately am unable to make sense of it. But I wanted to comment and say welcome to the community :) and I am glad to see our members join in the thread to help you <3 I hope you find support and friendship here. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SusieB said:
    Well to add to my story I have had a call today from job centre plus and someone from ESA is going to ring me next week to verify me been appointee. The case is live and not closed.
    where does that leave us? We have had one month UC and one month backdated of 368.
    im hoping he will go back in the support group as it is within twelve weeks of his original ESA. But I’m filling in UC50 which has to be back by 2 nd April 
    Anyone make sense of this as I’m so confused 
    Live means he's entitled to the LCWRA element of UC from the start of his claim. He will not need to go through another WCA. If there's any entitlement to New style ESA payments then he will receive that every fortnight, which will be £129.50/week. The ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

UC will just continue as normal. Please also note that you will need to make sure you are his appointee for the UC claim too, unless his partner will take over that. Being his appointee for ESA will not mean you're automatically the appointee for UC.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.