Serious Housing Problem — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Serious Housing Problem

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 491 Pioneering
My wife and I live in a property where our mortgage was taken over with more than ten thousand other mortgages by engage credit. Our mortgage since being sold to them has jumped from 5% to today 10.5% which is unaffordable.

We have spoken to a mortgage broker and they have said that we cannot remortgage due to affordability and basically due to our ages. My wife is retired and i am 52.

Does anyone know of any options available for us. We would love to move if we cannot get a new mortgage on the property. The house is too big for us now but sadly we don'thave enough in the property to go out and buy a smaller one.

Does anyone know anything about the part buy scheme where you buy part of a property, or any other solutions available. We are worried that the interest rate will continue to go up.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Shared ownership is possible in your situation. See link. https://www.gov.uk/shared-ownership-scheme/who-can-apply There's also lots of other information in that link so please do have a read and you may find it helpful. 

There's also a scheme called "HOLD" for those with long term disabilities, if they can't find a home that meets their needs through shared ownership. There's more information here on this. hold
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.