Hi, my name is donnab76! I have a question regarding my sons disabled child element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is donnab76! I have a question regarding my sons disabled child element

Options
donnab76
donnab76 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 18 in Universal Credit (UC)
Thank-you for accepting me to the group, and can I say wow such valuable information!!! Iv a question regarding my sons disabled child element on my uc claim, do I ask on a relevant thread or can I post to ask advice on any? Thank-you x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,274 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can ask your question on here, I'm sure someone will advise you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • donnab76
    donnab76 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Fab, thank you...I'll try not to make it drawn out, I recently found out I should be receiving the carers element and the disabled child element on my uc for my son, I recieve high rate dla for him, I checked my uc back to June 2021i did request back then my claim was amended and both elements were added, however the carer was but not the other. I have requested they add this now and backdate my missed payments to the day of my sons award, as I read on this site, uc have now added the highest £467 a month to my claim and say the back pay claim is with the decision maker. So I suppose my question...can people whom have gone through similar let me know of their experiences, time scales, amounts awarded etc? I'm looking at roughly 14k, a dream Holland some home improvements for my son for sure but I just don't want to get too excited 🫣🤷‍♀️ thanks for reading x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,274 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, you will be entitled to the higher disabled child element from the assessment period in which the DLA high rate care was awarded. 

For the carers element, the same should apply to this, providing you're not claiming the LCWRA element for yourself because both elements can't be paid to the same person. 

Timescales, unfortunately there isn't any but usually it's quite quickly that a decision is made. Money owed will be paid as a separate payment and often takes quite a few weeks to pay it. Before they pay it they will need to recalculate your past statements to work out how much you've already been paid, against what you should have been paid and then you will receive the difference between the 2. 

Once that is done you will receive a letter on your journal telling you how much is owed and it will be paid into your bank. Please also note that once the statements are recalculated they will replace your existing ones so you may want to take copies now. 

What I can't tell you is how much they will owe you because that will depend on how much UC you're already received. This applies to everyone claiming UC that's owed some money. The calculations will different for everyone. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @donnab76

Welcome to the community! :) I see Poppy has been able to give some great advice. How are you keeping? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.