Guardianship help Scotland — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Guardianship help Scotland

Options
knotjaq
knotjaq Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I'm here as my 33 yr old son has acquired brain damage. 

Comments

• knotjaq
    knotjaq Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    My son is currently on a neuro ward due for discharge and we've been hit with the guardianship. We were told poa would be route to go but son lacks capacity although he seems like he understands most things. He needs 24 hour care and we are looking for suitable places for him that can attend to his needs as he needs ongoing rehab and is bed bound. I was told today we need guardianship for him but currently he's hundreds of miles away and we need solicitors to visit him but we don't live where his hospital is and he didn't have permanent address. I am on a low income but don't get benefits self employed but I live with my partner and It states my partner's income is taken Into account for legal aid when we are not joint financially and it would be unfair to have to show his income to get help. 
    I have spent every bit of my savings going back and forth to hospital paying for everything for my son.

My other son was happy to do poa with me and he wouldn't have to pay legal aid costs.for guardianship but I don't expect him to take on all the responsibility. 

What I'm asking is where do we stand as I cant afford the guardian ship that's been sprung on me or they can't start the discharge process till we do it. I've only just been told today his review is tomorrow. I'm really upset as I don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.