Mirror article PIP claiments Backdated — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mirror article PIP claiments Backdated

Options
happyfella
happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
I have read an article in The Mirror about a disability forum, although they have not named it which is not helpful. It is about people on PIP who have received payouts due to a court case and change in rule. Some people have been backdated to 2016.

I am just wondering if they plan or if it affects those people who were turned down by PIP as I am very angry at the way I was treated.

I will explain.

I was told by my doctor for years to claim PIP but I ignored him until he finally convinced me.

I went ahead and claimed PIP, and then I had to go in front of this woman. To cut a long story short, she lied on the report about my face to face meeting with her.

When I received the report I was shocked, it was like reading about someone else. There were lots of lies on the report.

I contacted my MP who then took up the case and contacted PIP. PIP then did an investigation and they also arranged for a independent investigation. Both investigations found the person who did my interview was not telling the truth. They asked for her notes and she claimed she could not find them and also claimed she did not remember seeing me.

Although both reports admitted that she lied and they did not believe her, they said they were not able to change my points which was zero on both.

My experience was shocking which I am not going to go further into but affected me mentally.

My doctor convinced me to apply again and put me intouch with a organisation to deal with my case. It took a lot of convincing to apply again.

The organisation who took on my case said it would be quicker to apply again than appeal, so they dealt with everything and we applied again.

This time I got maximum points on both and was backdated to when we put in the second claim.

I know I am not the only one to go through this, so I am wondering if all those people including myself could be included in this new ruling in the article and if not, what are the DWP going to do to make these wrongs right. It would be good if SCOPE actually took this forward and fought for people like me and the thousands of other people.

To be honest I do not have a clue what Scope does. I do see their shops all over the place but I never see them take action against the Government and fight for people like me. Maybe they do and I have missed something, but I think it is about time that Scope or an organisation like Scope fight for all thousands of people who have been wronged so it is made right.

I would also love to know who is the benefits forum in this article https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/dwp-pip-rule-change-means-32388900

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 19
    Options
    This is referring to the rule changes for social support. (engaging with others face to face) 

It means that some people scored only 2 points for this activity when they should have scored 4 points. See link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/social-support-changes-to-pip-law-from-6-april-2016

As you didn’t score any points at all the first time you applied, even if you were to scored 4 points for this, that’s not enough of points needed for an award at that time because you need at least 8 points for an award. For this reason, it doesn’t apply to you. 

The forum mentioned could be any forum. We’ve definitely had members here that this applied to and were owed some money for this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @happyfella you have been a member here for over 3 years but you "don't know what scope does" ? 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• happyfella
    Options
    This is referring to the rule changes for social support. (engaging with others face to face) 

It means that some people scored only 2 points for this activity when they should have scored 4 points. See link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/social-support-changes-to-pip-law-from-6-april-2016

As you didn’t score any points at all the first time you applied, even if you were to scored 4 points for this, that’s not enough of points needed for an award at that time because you need at least 8 points for an award. For this reason, it doesn’t apply to you. 

The forum mentioned could be any forum. We’ve definitely had members here that this applied to and were owed some money for this. 
    I think they need to start looking at all the people who lost out on their claims and had to reaply due to the lies on the reports. When I took my case to our MP she said she had more than 100 complaints about lies on a report, and she said other MPs that she knew of had nearly double than her. Imagine how many people around the country lost out due to lies.

What should happen is, an investigation should take place to see why lies were put down. Were they given an incentive by the company they were working for to keep people off people, I dont know, but it does need looking into

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You could have challenged the decision rather than reapply. The organisation that advised you this could well have lost you some money that you may have been entitled to. Rather poor advice you were given there. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • happyfella
    Options
    You could have challenged the decision rather than reapply. The organisation that advised you this could well have lost you some money that you may have been entitled to. Rather poor advice you were given there. 

They said appealing could take 12 months so they said it would be better to apply as fresh. They are a great organisation who help thousands. But, as I have said, an investigation should take place to find out why these people lie on reports. There must be a reason why these assessment people lie.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In many cases the so called lies are just assessors putting forward a point of view the applicant disagrees with.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    I've looked at the quote from the article and it looks to be from the Benefits and Work forum.

It's not uncommon for people to ask about what Scope does, but as a disability equality charity we tirelessly campaign about all issues affecting disabled people, including disability benefits (see our Benefits without the fight campaign). You can read more about what Scope does on our website's About us page if you're interested.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.