Esa new claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa new claim

berry61 Community member Posts: 51 Connected
Hi hope everyone is keeping well.

 I'm looking for advice regarding claiming esa for the first time.

We have received our 1st UC payment since managed migration from WTC. Myself and my wife are both in receipt of pip both the standard daily living and standard mobility. We are both receiving the carers element on our UC assessment as well as an amount for transitional protection.

I've just had a major shoulder operation last Saturday 16th March and have a fitnote from the hospital for an initial 6 weeks, but I know after speaking with the consultant the sickness period  will probably be the full 26week term as I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy for a long period and my job involves heavy manual work. 

I've reported the fitnote on my journal with the details of illness etc  and start and end dates, which has been accepted and I've been informed to keep the fitnote in case UC want to see it.
What happens next with regards a work capability assessment or when & how do I need to claim esa.
Also  If I am successful claiming esa how would any withdrawal of a lump sum from my personal pension affect any benefits we receive i.e UC and pip,  I havent taken any amount at the moment from my personal pension, but the new tax year will be starting soon and if I only receive ssp could I supplement that with a lump sum withdrawal ( not a regular monthly amount)
I'm 62 and don't receive state pension until 67. We don't have any savings above £2000 as I have reported to UC during the transition.

Thank you for any help with this matter , I just don't want to make any mistakes during the process.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.