Application for uc — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Application for uc

solitarypants Community member Posts: 21 Connected
I’m finally taking the plunge and applying for UC!! 
I’m confused by something 
we are currently on legacy esa benefits
when filling in the IC form it’s saying we need to supply a fit note! Even tho we checked the on esa box ! 
Do I need to go get a fit note??!? 
Any advice appreciated 


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Hello @solitarypants, no you should not need a fit note. Do you have access to your journal on UC yet?
    Community Manager
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s standard procedure for them to ask for a fit note. If you’re in the Support Group for ESA then this isn’t needed because you’ll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.

    If you have access to a journal now then put a message on there to tell them that you’re in the Support Group. If you have a recent letter from ESA then it would be useful to take that with you if you have to attend your local job centre as a new claimant.

    It may take a few weeks for ESA to send your details across to UC. Once this is done your journal will be updated. You will then need to accept your new commitments, which will be to agree to report all changes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • solitarypants
    solitarypants Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    thanks for ur help
    ive not actually submitted the claim yet as was waiting to hear your advice:) 
    many thanks !!! 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.