Pension — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.


steve69 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
I have a small pension and would like to take the 25% tax free amount.
Im on esa contribution based so know it wont affect that and under 16k in savings, but could it affect council tax support.


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    It depends how much it is, and not all councils count capital in the same way, you could phone your councils benefit dept. and ask them.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,236 Disability Gamechanger
    For the avoidance of doubt, your ESA is New style and not the old contributions based. There's a difference between the two. The old contributions based can include an Income Related top up but New style ESA can't. 

    For council tax reduction some local Authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement ends so you need to look on their website. If it's £16,000 then there would be a deduction of £1/week for every £250 over £6,000. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • silver58
    silver58 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi,I just received my pension forecast,the estimate is for £158.64 per week
    The forecast is for £164.47 if I contribute untill April 5th 2024.
    Which am I most likely to get,and is these figures based on nat ins contributions already paid?
    I got a COPE estimate also,is this to be paid to me by my present local pension scheme?
    I retire in 6mnths time and just trying to sort my finances in readiness for the big day!
    Thank you in advance


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.