Dentist and Covid — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dentist and Covid

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
I have a dental appointment next week and my dentist STILL requires all patients to wear a face mask, whilst waiting in the waiting room !!
Anyone else got a similar dentist ?
Hasn't he seen the news ? Covid is "so last year".....

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,705 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I just went for a check up today, funnily enough

No such rules at my dentist, there is a bottle of hand gel and a sign asking you to use it but I didn’t notice till I sat down and no one prompted me
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most doctors dentist and hospitals will suggest you can still wear a mask if you want, I am not aware of any still insisting you do. I have a hospital appt. next week and the letter went to great pains to explain this but also to explain it's my choice to do or not to do.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My daughters had quite a few dental appointment in the past couple of months and there's no such rules there. They do have hand gel for you to use, if you want to. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,054 Scope online community team
    Options
    There's still a sign up on my dentist's door but the staff and no patients wear them. We do still have to fill out forms confirming that we don't have any symptoms of Covid before we attend though. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,857 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Same with mine there no regulations on waring masks but the staff still do, also have to vouch no covid symptoms 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    I still have to fill in forms confirming I have no symptoms, but I haven't had to wear a mask.
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Zimba
    Zimba Community member Posts: 1,873 Pioneering
    Options
    I can’t get a dentist sadly but at my doctors they still wear masks and when you phone its still got the long winded Covid recorded message, its a choice if we wear one.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    My dentist is similar to some of the other members. You have to confirm you have no symptoms in the forms before you go, but there's no rule on masks in the waiting room. 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • CATP
    CATP Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    I have a dental appointment next week and my dentist STILL requires all patients to wear a face mask, whilst waiting in the waiting room !!

i go to a complex aditional needs dentist and the staff at there clinic all wear masks. they understand though that there are people like myself who cant cope with wearing them due to my extreme sensory issues and behaviur chalenges.i see a sensory integration therapist there who is also helping to try and cope with brushing my teeth and she wears a mask to and so do all the nurses i really struggle with it as im face blind already and hiding the mouth means i cant even recognisse who im looking at.

i dont get asked to do forms as im unable to write but i dont think i remember my support staff geting asked either.

[quote]
    I can’t get a dentist sadly but at my doctors they still wear masks and when you phone its still got the long winded Covid recorded message, its a choice if we wear one.
    [/quote]
    hi @Zimba sorry your unable to get to a dentist. 
    im sorry if youve tried this already and youve heard it a milion times but have you tried your local dental hospital as these often have a dental A&E? my brother in law works in one....unfortunatly it means you have to go early to get in the cue and its first come first served plus your worked on by dental students (under the care of the profesionals),but it can end up helping lessen your pain while you wait for a dentist),the other option woud be to try the community ddentists as some will take on people with any disability not just autism and/or learning disability.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,603 Pioneering
    Options
    CATP said:
    Wibbles said:

i go to a complex aditional needs dentist and the staff at there clinic all wear masks. they understand though that there are people like myself who cant cope with wearing them due to my extreme sensory issues and behaviur chalenges.i see a sensory integration therapist there who is also helping to try and cope with brushing my teeth and she wears a mask to and so do all the nurses i really struggle with it as im face blind already and hiding the mouth means i cant even recognisse who im looking at.

i dont get asked to do forms as im unable to write but i dont think i remember my support staff geting asked either.

[quote]
    [/quote]
    hi @Zimba sorry your unable to get to a dentist. 
    im sorry if youve tried this already and youve heard it a milion times but have you tried your local dental hospital as these often have a dental A&E? my brother in law works in one....unfortunatly it means you have to go early to get in the cue and its first come first served plus your worked on by dental students (under the care of the profesionals),but it can end up helping lessen your pain while you wait for a dentist),the other option woud be to try the community ddentists as some will take on people with any disability not just autism and/or learning disability.

We don't have "complex additional needs dentists" anywhere near us
    nearest will be over 50 miles away......
    As for "local" dental hospitals - nope, none of them either

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.