I need advice please,I don’t know what to title this — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I need advice please,I don’t know what to title this

Options
lonergirlx3
lonergirlx3 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all hoping this is ok to post and someone will be able to help me. My other post isn’t getting much traction so I’m hoping this will instead…

I’m am in England. I am a 25 year old woman diagnosed autistic and mental health sufferer. I currently live in temporary acommodation from the council and get housing benefit which pays the rent. I am out of work due to disability and mental health and because of this get extra benefits. However I would like to work part time because I feel like a bum and not working is making me feel very depressed. Technically I get my other benefits because I am deemed unfit to work but at this point my mental health is suffering I am willing to try working because I need a distraction. But I’m worried how this is gonna affect my benefits and especially if working doesn’t quite work out. I’ve tried working before but extremely burnt out which led me to go on disability and stop. I imagine I will lose the housing benefit if I start some work? If I do, will I be able to get back onto it if I stopped working? How much can I earn without losing benefits? 
If anyone knows more information on this please let me know. I get PIP, UC and LCWRA payment as my other benefits. 

Comments

• bookrabbit
    bookrabbit Community member Posts: 196 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,
     If you are on LCWRA you can earn £379 (going up soon) before they deduct anything from what you earn, then they deduct 55p from every pound.
    I am not sure how this affects housing benefit although I would like to know as my son and I are in temporary accomodation too and my son is self employed so it will affect him. It wouldn't affect the housing element of UC but housing benefit is different.
    We weren't able to do the housing benefit application ourselves as we weren't given enough information but a housing officer has finally submitted it for us so we will probably hear if he has to pay anything more towards the hotel or whether the lowering of the allowed income from the no housing threshold to the with housing threshold for disregarded income is the extent of it. He had an extra £125ish deducted from his UC last month because of that.

As long as you start small you can certainly do some work, just not anything that would contradict the reason you got LCWRA or you might lose it.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @lonergirlx3, To echo bookrabbit's great advice, the only thing to be mindful of is whether your work contradicts the reasons for your claim. If your housing benefit is paid through UC, this shouldn't be affected by your work and your PIP won't be affected at all. Your earnings will be automatically reported to them each month and your benefits will be adjusted depending on how much you earn.

Because you're on LCWRA, you shouldn't be sanctioned if you find that your employment isn't working out and you need to stop.

Scope have some employment support services that you might like to read about if you're looking for work, I know lots of people have found them very helpful in the past :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wkd
    wkd Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Options
    Hi,
     If you are on LCWRA you can earn £379 (going up soon) before they deduct anything from what you earn, then they deduct 55p from every pound.
    I am not sure how this affects housing benefit although I would like to know as my son and I are in temporary accomodation too and my son is self employed so it will affect him. It wouldn't affect the housing element of UC but housing benefit is different.
    We weren't able to do the housing benefit application ourselves as we weren't given enough information but a housing officer has finally submitted it for us so we will probably hear if he has to pay anything more towards the hotel or whether the lowering of the allowed income from the no housing threshold to the with housing threshold for disregarded income is the extent of it. He had an extra £125ish deducted from his UC last month because of that.

As long as you start small you can certainly do some work, just not anything that would contradict the reason you got LCWRA or you might lose it.
    I find the entitledto calculator great for calculations, perhaps you can use that if you haven't already. 
  • wkd
    Options
    Hi all hoping this is ok to post and someone will be able to help me. My other post isn’t getting much traction so I’m hoping this will instead…

I’m am in England. I am a 25 year old woman diagnosed autistic and mental health sufferer. I currently live in temporary acommodation from the council and get housing benefit which pays the rent. I am out of work due to disability and mental health and because of this get extra benefits. However I would like to work part time because I feel like a bum and not working is making me feel very depressed. Technically I get my other benefits because I am deemed unfit to work but at this point my mental health is suffering I am willing to try working because I need a distraction. But I’m worried how this is gonna affect my benefits and especially if working doesn’t quite work out. I’ve tried working before but extremely burnt out which led me to go on disability and stop. I imagine I will lose the housing benefit if I start some work? If I do, will I be able to get back onto it if I stopped working? How much can I earn without losing benefits? 
    If anyone knows more information on this please let me know. I get PIP, UC and LCWRA payment as my other benefits. 
    I hear you, I feel the same, I want to be able to do a part-time job from home, but worried it will affect my benefits. I also could not hold down a job as I was sacked for health issues from my previous one and my health has deteriorated an awful lot since then. I feel a job might give me back some normalcy and self respect, it also might help with my MH as long as I am not overloaded.

I am not 100 per cent sure how this will work out or if it will go ahead after the election if a new government are elected, but I do believe it is a step in the right direction if you want to try out work wit
  • wkd
    Options
    wkd said:
    Hi,

I find the entitledto calculator great for calculations, perhaps you can use that if you haven't already. 
    Sorry , I dont know where the edit button has gone on pit was meant to say in 2025 the government said they are planning to let people try out work without it affecting benefits or that if it doesn't work out then people can go back on them without starting a new claim.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wkd said:
    wkd said:
    Hi,

Sorry , I dont know where the edit button has gone on pit was meant to say in 2025 the government said they are planning to let people try out work without it affecting benefits or that if it doesn't work out then people can go back on them without starting a new claim.  
    Going by the number of posts you done I don't think you have an option to edit your comments yet. I'll tag a member of the team who will be able to explain it to you better than I can. @Rosie_Scope can you help here please. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @wkd,  The editing function will appear once you've posted and interacted on the community a little more. You'll be able to edit your posts for 15 minutes after posting once you reach the 'Pioneering' rank at 100 points. The points come from posting comments and discussions and receiving the 'insightful', 'like' and 'awesome' reactions from other members.

Your rank will show under your username and post count each time you make a post, as well as on your profile. You're currently at the 'Courageous' rank, so not too far off and I'm sure you'll get up to 'Pioneering' in no time. 

In the meantime, if you need to edit your post or change any information, you're welcome to contact one of the online community team in a message or post. @Community_Scope is often a good bet as the whole team have access to this account. If it's an urgent edit and you're worried it will affect other members, you can click flag to send a report to the team and we can look into it for you.

I hope that makes sense, but please let me know if it doesn't :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • wkd
    Options
    Hello @wkd,  The editing function will appear once you've posted and interacted on the community a little more. You'll be able to edit your posts for 15 minutes after posting once you reach the 'Pioneering' rank at 100 points. The points come from posting comments and discussions and receiving the 'insightful', 'like' and 'awesome' reactions from other members.

Your rank will show under your username and post count each time you make a post, as well as on your profile. You're currently at the 'Courageous' rank, so not too far off and I'm sure you'll get up to 'Pioneering' in no time. 

In the meantime, if you need to edit your post or change any information, you're welcome to contact one of the online community team in a message or post. @Community_Scope is often a good bet as the whole team have access to this account. If it's an urgent edit and you're worried it will affect other members, you can click flag to send a report to the team and we can look into it for you.

I hope that makes sense, but please let me know if it doesn't :)
    Ah:smiley: that makes sense. I have another profile and I can edit that one so thought it was a glitch or something.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.