Mutual Exchange and Migration to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mutual Exchange and Migration to UC

Options
rachelh72
rachelh72 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
Hi we are wanting to mutually exchange our house but will be staying within our current local authority. Will this force a move onto UC? as we will then sacrifice our entitlement to the uplift. Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,146 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, staying with the same LA will mean a simple change of address with housing benefit and you remain on it. I note from another thread that you're also claiming Tax credits and the timescale for managed migration completion for that is April 2024, whether that can be achieved I don't know. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rachelh72
    Options
    Ok so what you're saying is that we may lose the uplift anyway if we want to keep our tax credits and have to apply for UC before a managed move. Is that correct? Thanks Poppy
  • rachelh72
    Options
    So we may not be able to keep both because of the timescale? I didn't realise that at all. 
  • rachelh72
    Options
    We've had no letter
  • poppy123456
    Options
    rachelh72 said:
    Ok so what you're saying is that we may lose the uplift anyway if we want to keep our tax credits and have to apply for UC before a managed move. Is that correct? Thanks Poppy
    No, that's not what I said. At this late stage you won't lose the uplift. Once you receive the managed migration letter you will have 3 months to apply for UC, which will take you beyond the uplift as it applies from 8th April. 

I don't understand what you mean by this. Keep both of what?

rachelh72 said:
    So we may not be able to keep both because of the timescale? I didn't realise that at all. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rachelh72
    Options
    I'm really sorry I really get confused by it all and don't understand it all. We haven't had a Migration letter you see and I'm aware tax credits end very soon. Do we need to apply now then for UC to keep our tax credits? Is that the case?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please don't worry, it's confusing for everyone. No, please do not apply for UC until you receive the migration letter. If you do then you could end up being worse off. When you do apply through Managed migration, if you're worse off then you will receive Transitional protection. 

Of course if a change of circumstances prompts a move in the meantime you will have no option but to apply but your house move to the same LA is not a change of circumstances that prompts a move. 
  • rachelh72
    Options
    Thank you for explaining that. But what do I need to do if anything about my child tax credits ending?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    rachelh72 said:
    Thank you for explaining that. But what do I need to do if anything about my child tax credits ending?
    They are not ending yet because you haven't received the migration letter. Once you do, as I advised you will have 3 months to apply. In the meantime your Tax credits will continue. 
  • rachelh72
    Options
    Thank you again. I was panicking. You've been so helpful 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome!  :)
  • rachelh72
    Options
    Hi with regards to my Mutual Exchange. I will be staying with my local council but my housing benefit will change because I will no longer have to pay bedroom tax. Will this change in HB force a move onto UC? Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I answered that question here. 
    No, staying with the same LA will mean a simple change of address with housing benefit and you remain on it.

• rachelh72
    Options
    Thanks even if my HB has to change? ie I won't have to pay bedroom tax anymore due to downsizing as I currently under occupy you see so my HB will be recalculated and changed? TIA
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As I advised, you can remain on HB because it will just be a change of address. I moved house back in January and claim HB. I remained in the same LA so remained on HB. They sent me a change of address form, which I filled in and returned. My HB was then recalculated based on where I live now. 
  • rachelh72
    Options
    That's brill just what I wanted to hear. Thank you for being so helpful xxx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're very welcome. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.