Folding electric wheelchair at airport — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Folding electric wheelchair at airport

Options
greenylad
greenylad Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Has anyone traveled on a plane with a folding portable electric wheelchair.
my wife has a Livewell instafold with removable lithium battery.
we have been told that we need to check it in as hold luggage but I am worried about how it will be treated, I’ve seen how they throw suitcases around and how items travel on the conveyor.
i am also concerned about security as unlike a mobility scooter it does not have a key so would be really easy to steal.
Has anyone flown with one of these?

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @greenylad and welcome to the community! 

I'm afraid I don't have any knowledge of airports and how they deal with a portable electric wheelchair.  Have you spoken to anyone from the airline you're flying with?  They may be able to help you with answers and possibly make an arrangement for you. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 505 Pioneering
    Options
    My sister did yesterday, @greenylad. She had already checked beforehand, giving her time to buy a canvas bag to protect the wheelchair, as it has to go in the hold. Being lithium, the battery has to go with you in hand luggage, it isn't counted towards your baggage allowance though. 

You can buy LiPo bags for the battery. Funnily enough, I bought one online a couple of days ago & that was to keep mine in at home.
  • greenylad
    Options
    JessieJ said:
    My sister did yesterday, @greenylad. She had already checked beforehand, giving her time to buy a canvas bag to protect the wheelchair, as it has to go in the hold. Being lithium, the battery has to go with you in hand luggage, it isn't counted towards your baggage allowance though. 

You can buy LiPo bags for the battery. Funnily enough, I bought one online a couple of days ago & that was to keep mine in at home.

Hi @JessieJ, thanks so much for that information, I will see if I can find a canvas bag to protect it, do you know if the bag was specifically designed for a wheelchair?
    Also, yes we know we have to take the battery in the cabin but again did not realise you can get a bag, what does LiPo stand for? (apologies for my ignorance)
  • JessieJ
    Options
    You're welcome, @greenylad.

Yes, they are specifically for the modern, lightweight chairs. My sister got one from Ebay, something like this (it may actually be the one)...

So you can pull it along, as well as protecting it. They're not cheap, then, nothing is for disabled. My sister found a guy on Ebay, she bought one & it didn't quite fit. She contacted him to say she had to send it back, which was fine. But, if she gave the chair dimensions, he would adapt one to fit. All good & she was chuffed. Sorry, after saying that, I can't tell you who it was, as she is now on holiday.

I had never heard of LiPo before either, not for batteries & had to look it up, it's Lithium-Polymer. Check the battery size for what you need, as they do vary in size, as they're for all batts, drones, escooters etc. Some, you can leave the battery in the bag for charging too, there's a special opening. I got mine from Amazon, but best to look around & see what you find.
  • greenylad
    Options
    Perfect, many thanks @JessieJ :)
  • JessieJ
    Options
    No probs, @greenylad:) Hope you get sorted & enjoy trouble free journeys & holiday.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.