Miving Ftom Legacy Benefits (esa) To U.C — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Miving Ftom Legacy Benefits (esa) To U.C

Options
vcahira08
vcahira08 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited March 24 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, all. 

If you have all ready migrated to U.C from esa and find there is a shortfall, you need to enter into your online journal that you are protected by 'Transactional Protection'. 

Transactional Protection is there to stop people losing money just because they have to migrate. 

I had to use this to recoup a £50.00 monthly shortfall. I was told over and over again that I was getting everything I was entitled to, it took research on my part, to discover Transactional Protection. The DWP will NOT inform you of this. 

U.C doesn't honour the Severe Disability element that esa does hence the shortfall, but you may fall short for other reasonsvtoo. 

Plesse share this and pass it on. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To be clear, Transitional Protection that's in place to make sure you're not worse off applies to managed migration only. For this you must wait for a letter inviting you to apply for UC. 

For natural migration, where you have to claim UC due to a change of circumstances then TP will not apply. However, if you're transferring from another benefit that includes payments for the Severe disability Premium and you were entitled to this when you claimed UC then your UC will include the SDP Transitional element. If you were claiming single SDP and in the Support Group then your TE will be £132.12/month. 

Those claiming UC due to change of circumstances and were claiming SDP in another benefit are still likely to be worse off when claiming UC, even with the TE. More details here. sdp-transitional-elements

Also to add for those that are claiming Income Related ESA, will not be invited to apply for UC through managed migration until at least 2028, unless they are also claiming Tax credits. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @vcahira08 and welcome to the community. :)

Thanks for giving your story and I'm sorry it wasn't as smooth and easy as you hoped. It's good to see Poppy has also added some top advice. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • vcahira08
    Options
    I'm glad to see there is an awareness now of TP. Two years ago for me that was not the case.

I had to change over to U.C as I changed address where U.C had all ready been rolled out. It was a ccomplete nigthmare and I had to be supported by a local church who delivered food parcels to a home address for some disabled people. I felt very vulnerable for a long time. I didn't have a fridge or washing machine for 3 months! I just hope it's an easier migration for people now. 

There is a gentleman on YouTube who is a whistle-blower for DWP and thr PIP process. Should I post his YouTube links here somewhere? The information he provides is very useful and eye-opening. 
  • vcahira08
    Options
    Thank you, Albus_scope. 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 991 Pioneering
    Options

Should I post his YouTube links here somewhere? The information he provides is very useful and eye-opening. 

Yes please! Or his name?

• M_305
    M_305 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    WhatThe said:

Should I post his YouTube links here somewhere? The information he provides is very useful and eye-opening. 

Yes please! Or his name?

I think the OP may be referring to Alan McClemont, a former UC agent. Look him up on YouTube; he has been sharing lots of useful information and insights into the practices that happen behind closed doors.
  • vcahira08
    Options
    Yes Alan McClemont. I think people need to be made aware of these resources, if not only, to have real answer's. There are also a lot of DWP PiP/U.C whistleblowers on tiktok. Hopefully the tide is going to turn in favour of the most vulnerable in our society. 
  • WhatThe
    Options

I'm not looking forward to it but many thanks 
  • M_305
    M_305 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    vcahira08 said:
    Yes Alan McClemont. I think people need to be made aware of these resources, if not only, to have real answer's. There are also a lot of DWP PiP/U.C whistleblowers on tiktok. Hopefully the tide is going to turn in favour of the most vulnerable in our society. 

I agree. He has shared tons of useful information and stories, so it's worth following him. I don't know about the TikTok ones. Anyway, let's hope things improve now that some of their dark secrets are coming to light.
  • vcahira08
    Options
    WhatThe said:

I'm not looking forward to it but many thanks 
    Sorry I must have missed a thread. What are you not looking forward too. 
  • WhatThe
    Options

Oh sorry not looking forward to delving into it because it will upset me 
  • WhatThe
    Options

:|
    not sure I learned anything tbh 

I found his thick Glaswegian accent too difficult to stay long but it just sounded like a rant to me. We can hear them laughing at us, we know it's a con but what are the solutions, where is the advice?

Does he write about his experiences anywhere? That would be more accessible for me. 

• vcahira08
    Options
    WhatThe said:

:|
    not sure I learned anything tbh 

I found his thick Glaswegian accent too difficult to stay long but it just sounded like a rant to me. We can hear them laughing at us, we know it's a con but what are the solutions, where is the advice?

Does he write about his experiences anywhere? That would be more accessible for me. 

I have experience with thick Glasweigan accents so it's not a problem. Haha.. He does give solutions on how to ask specific questions etc and the comments are also a good resource. You'd have to go and watch from the beginning. I've also found a lady who gives advice to people on how to deal with pip assessments etc. I think right now there isn't one solution, but there is a growing awareness of the corruption in the DWP, and although that doesn't fix things right now, I think it helps people know it's not targeted at them personally. The majority of this type of information is understanding your individual rights regarding the DWP, knowing where and when questions being asked are not relevant to a person's disability, but instead designed to trip people up so they can deny claims. What exactly are you hoping to find?. 
  • WhatThe
    Options

Well I've been aware of DWP maladministration for many years and left without redress. Understanding law is not enough when they routinely disregard it. 

Can you specify where he offers suggests questions to ask UC? I struggle to watch/listen to anyone online and there are dozens of his. Thanks 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.