Uc and working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Uc and working

Options
3mercians
3mercians Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My daughter gets uc and the disability component she has found a job for 16 hours a week at 10.50 per hour how will this effect her uc
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once she starts work she will need to make sure she reports a change of circumstances, by logging into her journal. (assuming she has access to one) Then "click" work and earnings and report it through there. 

She will have the work allowance, which means she can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before any deductions apply. If she claims for help with the rent the work allowance is £379/month, if she doesn't then it's £631/month. For every £1 of earnings received above those amounts her UC will reduce by 55p.

She also needs to be aware that if the work she does contradicts the reasons why she was found to have LCWRA then it could cause issues when she's next reviewed. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,081 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey @3mercians and welcome to the community!

The basics are; If you earn more than your Work Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced. For every £1 you earn above your Work Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by 55p.

If your circumstances mean that you don’t have a Work Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by 55p for every £1 you earn.

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hey @3mercians and welcome to the community!

The basics are; If you earn more than your Work Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced. For every £1 you earn above your Work Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by 55p.

If your circumstances mean that you don’t have a Work Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by 55p for every £1 you earn.

To be clear, it's earnings received each month, rather than just earnings. For example, someone who is self employed may have did some work in January but didn't actually receive payment for that until March, so this is when it would affect their UC.  
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 3mercians
    Options
    Thank you she get uc and limited capability allowance will she loose everything 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    3mercians said:
    Thank you she get uc and limited capability allowance will she loose everything 
    Uc is one benefit made up of many different elements. If the earnings she receives are more than the work allowance then the whole of UC will reduce by 55% and not just part of it. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator
  • wkd
    wkd Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Options
    I am curious to know if anyone does work and receives LCWRA, it would be interesting if the government published those figures.  
  • 3mercians
    Options
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,642 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @3mercians you say she has found a job at £10.50 an hour if that is NMW it will increase by £1 an hour in 2 weeks time.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Options
    wkd said:
    I am curious to know if anyone does work and receives LCWRA, it would be interesting if the government published those figures.  
    I know we have some members that work when found to have LCWRA. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.