Hi, my name is angexox24. I wanna know how I can stop myself from getting intrusive thoughts — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is angexox24. I wanna know how I can stop myself from getting intrusive thoughts

Options
angexox24
angexox24 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have been diagnosed with anxiety, depression and symptoms of ptsd, and right now I’m struggling with thoughts to hurt myself or put myself in situations knowing I’ll get hurt, and I wanna know if there’s any tips to stop myself, for example I hit walls when I can’t control my emotions and the other day I put my thumb on my lighter to see if it would be hot but I don’t think I was meant to act on it, at first it was a thought in my head then I got curious and next thing I know I was feeling a burning sensation on my thumb sometimes i wanna hurt myself but other times it just happens and I don’t remember why 
Tagged:

Comments

• Bashford61
    Bashford61 Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Options
    Not an expert but It sounds like you need a distraction from having these thoughts. If you can distract yourself with some activities to occupy your mind, Harming yourself can never lead anywhere good. I would suggest speaking to a health professional as I did after a suicide attempt which led to my Aspergers diagnosis.  
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @angexox24, sorry to hear you're having intrusive thoughts. Do you have any professionals supporting you with your mental health at all? Or any close friends and family who you can talk things through with? It's really important that you get some help and support if you're thinking of harming yourself regularly. I'm going to pop you an email today so keep an eye out for that :)

Have you ever found grounding techniques helpful? They can sometimes help to diffuse things a little if you're having strong emotions. Things like finding five things you can see/hear/touch/smell, or touching something with an interesting texture and focusing on how it feels, splashing some water on your face or holding an ice cube and feeling the cold, there's lots of things to try. Just be aware that if you know you struggle with sensory issues you don't want to overwhelm yourself further with sensations you can't cope with.

I'll move your post over to our mental health boards so that members with similar experiences can find your post and offer their advice and support. I hope things start feeling easier for you soon <3
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.