If someone moved in with me — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If someone moved in with me

Options
miracleboy
miracleboy Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi

my friend might have to sell their flat to pay damages to flooded property below flat of £41,000. I am on ESA Support Group and High Rate PIP living and mobility. I live alone and get housing benefits and single person discount council tax. I am on legacy benefits and believe I won’t have to be transferred to universal credit until 2028. My friend works full time. If my friend moved in what would happen would I lose my legacy benefits and housing benefits etc. What would be the outcome

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,391 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You won’t lose them completely. If your ESA includes the Severe Disability Premium then you would lose that unless your friend is either claiming a qualifying disability benefit their self or they are registered blind.

You would also lose the single person discount for your council tax. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • miracleboy
    Options
    Why would I lose severe disability if that is what is wrong with me? What about my rent I pay £23 a week now I think full rent is just over a hundred a week. Also would losing severe disability make me have to go on universal credit? Thank you
  • poppy123456
    edited March 26
    Options
    To be entitled to SDP you must either live alone or be treated as living alone. If they are not either registered blind or claiming a disability benefit then you will not be treated as living alone.

You would be entitled to an extra bedroom for housing benefit, if you’re privately renting. 

There will be no non dependent deductions for housing benefit because your PIP includes the daily living part. 

It will not prompt a move to UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • miracleboy
    Options
    Hi

i am council house. Just one more question if the person moves in and because they work what would my rent go to?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There will be no non dependent deductions in your housing benefit because you're PIP includes daily living part. You would need to report the changes to your local authority as well and you would be entitled to an extra bedroom, providing your HB doesn't already cover your whole rent. 
  • hyancinth
    hyancinth Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Options
    It it necessary they know. What if she didnt stay for long anyway.

• poppy123456
    Options
    hyancinth said:
    It it necessary they know. What if she didnt stay for long anyway.

If they weren't staying for long then they would have said. You can't just not report things like this to DWP because it's known as benefit fraud. They are claiming Severe Disability Premium with their ESA and for this you must live alone or be treated as living alone. 

Please be careful of the advice you're giving here. 
  • miracleboy
    Options
    Person has not moved in I am just asking if they did. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.