Need help understanding my situation with regards to UC and non dependent moving in — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need help understanding my situation with regards to UC and non dependent moving in

123lop Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 29 in Universal Credit (UC)

I am a UC claimant who is classed as LCRWA.

I am the outright owner of the property I live in, so I do not have any housing benefit because I do not pay rent.

I will be having a non-dependent move in with me long term (family friend) who works full time earning over £30k a year.

What will the effects be on the UC?

Thanks for your time and any input you might have.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,176 Disability Gamechanger
    Non dependent deductions would only apply to someone claiming for help with the rent. As you own your own home then there will be nothing to deduct. 

    If this person is a friend and not a partner then it will not affect your UC. 

    If you’re claiming single person discount on your council tax then you would lose that. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 123lop
    123lop Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.