Universal credit as a couple — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit as a couple

Options
solitarypants
solitarypants Community member Posts: 21 Connected
So my hubby and I decided to move over to UC! 
My question is this:
he gets/got esa so he should get LCWRA but I didn’t as on old style as his wife I didn’t have too! so I didn’t bother ! 
Is this still the same? 
Will I have to look for work? Or
do my own LCWRA application?
kind regards 
SP

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,814 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If he doesn't claim a qualifying disability benefit for you to claim carers element, then yes you will be treated as a job seeker.

Do you have a health condition that limits your capability to work? If so then you can report your health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. You will be referred for a work capability assessment. However, please note that if you're found to have LCWRA then you will not be entitled to any extra money each month because your partner is already receiving this element and you can only receive 1 per claim. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • solitarypants
    Options
    Hi
    yes I have several lung conditions! And some mental health issues! 
    What are the qualifying disability benefits ? 
    Sp 

• solitarypants
    Options
    And if I were to work say 20 hours a week say£228 a week would they still help with the housing element of the ice claim!?
    sp
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,814 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To be entitled to carers element your partner would need to be claiming either daily living PIP/ADP or DLA mid/high rate care. 

And if I were to work say 20 hours a week say£228 a week would they still help with the housing element of the ice claim!?
    sp
    Housing element is part of UC, it's not a benefit on its own. If you worked and received earnings you will have the work allowance, this means you or your partner can receive £379/month of earnings (increasing to £404 from April increase) before the earnings taper applies. Any earnings received over that amount will reduce your whole UC by 55p for every £1 of earnings. See link. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/work-allowance-universal-credit

Do also be aware that because you are not claiming a disability benefit yourself, if you started working and your earnings were more than 16xNMW/week then you will not be referred for a work capability assessment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.