SMP and new style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SMP and new style ESA

Options
mama101
mama101 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello all, thank you in advanced for your support. 

I was off work on long term sickness I was then offered redundancy and took it I was also pregnant so in December 2023 I was made redudent and reccived my SMP and redundancy up front. Baby arrived days after. I am unable to go back to work due to my disability and health conditions, struggling to look after the baby and having to pay for help so money is really tight. I would normally be going back to work soon (due to money being tight) but I just can’t at the moment and can’t see me being able to any time soon I have always worked since I was 16!! 

Can I apply for new style ESA even thought I had my SMP in a lump sum 4 months ago? So not getting it monthly at current. 

Thank you I did call the ESA phone line but they didn’t seem know she said at 6 months I could but this seemed a bit odd. 

Thank you! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SMP and New style ESA are over lapping benefits and you can't receive both at the same time. When you received the lump sum when was that payment up until?

Have you looked at claiming Universal Credit? It's a means tested benefit so if you live with a partner you'll need to claim as a couple. If you have capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mama101
    mama101 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hello, right that makes much more sense to me thank you very much! I got paid the standard SMP so it will be till august so I can apply for ESA then 😀 

no I didn’t think I would qualify for this but I only have £5500 in savings so I think I may qualify! Have just done an online check on turn to us and I think we defiantly will get this, So will look at this option now and apply Thank you very much!  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Savings of less than £6,000 are ignored for UC purposes. Your SMP will be treated as earned income and anything above the work allowance will reduce your UC by 55%. If you claim for help with the rent your work allowance is £404/month, if you don't it will be £673/month. Please note that those figures are the new April increase amounts.work-allowance-universal-credit

Please make sure that you report your health condition and provide a fit note within 7 days of that when you do claim UC. 

When you do claim ESA this will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.