Carers allowance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance

Options
duzzydoris
duzzydoris Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all I'm new here, so hoping I'm on the right section, my  son made a claim for carers 16 wks and still hasn't heard anything, he called after 8 weeks and they told him he'd have to wait another 6 wks, how is this fair

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,180 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @duzzydoris and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear your son has been kept waiting. Had they given any reason for the wait? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • duzzydoris
    Options
    No nothing, he's not claiming any other benifits, he's not earning, he's been out of work himself since December. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,180 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's very curious.  What did they say other than to wait? Any reasoning behind it? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • duzzydoris
    Options
    No nothing, so unhelpful, frightened to call bk incase they say same thing
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Has he used a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? He will be excluded if he has capital of more than £16,000. If he lives with a partner he will need to claim as a couple and their joint circumstances will be taken into consideration. 

If the calculator shows entitlement he will need to make sure he reports being a carer and his UC will include the carers element. Once the carers allowance is awarded this will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • duzzydoris
    Options
    Hes not on universal credit and lives at home with me
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hes not on universal credit and lives at home with me
    Yes, I know because you said he's not claiming any benefits or isn't working. That's why I advised he use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. However, if he has no earnings and no partner there's no reason why he shouldn't qualify. He can claim online here. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim

As a carer he will have no work commitments. If he claims now then his first payment will be 1 month and 6 days later. He can ask for an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back and future payments will be reduced. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • duzzydoris
    Options
    OK thankyou very much

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.