Powerchair - boarding & parking chair in the wheelchair / buggy space — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Powerchair - boarding & parking chair in the wheelchair / buggy space

Options
JonnycJonny
JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 123 Courageous
Any tips on how to best board, manouvre and then park a powerchair on the bus once you have gone up the ramp - it is a real challenge for me to do it smoothly without a massive palaver & a lot of stress ?
Tagged:

Comments

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Options
    Lower your speed, then just take your time. It can be very awkward, especially if it's busy & also if there are pushchairs. Just take your time though & you should be okay. Thankfully & usually, people are fine with the delay whichever way you get on, front or middle, so try not to stress. Any problems, I try to joke about it, to take some of the stress away. 

Actually, I've just come back on a bus & the palaver was the middle door auto ramp not wanting to play ball. Even though it wasn't my fault, it was still embarrassing, but, it ended up with passengers, driver & me laughing about it.

• JonnycJonny
    Options
    Thank you for your input.

As I have go up the ramp forwards I then struggle with reversing into the space and getting the front wheels to swivel & cooperate - it all gets a little embarrassing and annoying for the other passengers. 

I will try not to get too flustered next time and go slow.

• JessieJ
    Options
    You're welcome & yes, I have to go forwards up the ramp too, once you've negotiated the often tight corner from the driver to get to the 'parking' place, go further forward, up towards the other seats, it should then give you more room to be able to reverse back in, missing that z bar that is aisle side of us, as that can be a real pain. Any passengers that get annoyed, ignore, they really aren't worth a worry, as they really don't know how small & self conscious we can feel having to manoeuvre with all watching & then have to park up facing them. 

So, yes, that's it, take your time & then you'll become a little more confident. Although, we shouldn't need to, try & keep a sense of humour, as that really can lighten it.
  • JonnycJonny
    Options
    Thank you. Sounds like you are out of London  - on TFL buses we have to board in the middle ( where the ramp is deployed) . Passengers often congregate waiting to get off at the middle doors. 

It is a bit of a nightmare but you have given me more confidence with your words of encouragement.

Have a good day 

• JessieJ
    Options

Yes, I'm out of London, but, funnily enough, the bus that I mentioned above, was actually an old TFL bus, that the centre ramp did not want to come out to play. On that one, once eventually on & the doors were shut, I used the extra space to manoeuvre round. Obviously, it was quieter than having to do it in London. Plus, maybe, fellow passengers here are a little more patient than where you are. 

Still though, take your time & don't worry about anyone else (If you do clip them, they will move! ;) ). I'm glad if I've given you a little confidence & you will get more confident as you go, head up & smile. 

Take care & happier travels

• littleacorn
    littleacorn Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    Just remember it's not your fault you are holding others up its the fault of the environment around us which is not built for wheelchair users. Maybe those who have not even given a thought to what it is like to have a disability may stop and think how these barriers don't just effect  us but also everyone around them. It's you educating others really.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.