Hi, my name is CreativeG! I’m so confused by this red tape on UC! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is CreativeG! I’m so confused by this red tape on UC!

Options
CreativeG
CreativeG Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 5 in Universal Credit (UC)
Sorry if this is a long explanation 😣
I care for my disabled mum and work 15hrs a week. I claim Universal Credit and did have the carers element with that until, we realised my mum would lose £300/month of her SDP! So, I gave up the carers element however this has now triggered me being put into a “work commitment group” and I’m expected to find 35hrs of work despite informing UC I care for over 40hrs a week! I’ve tried everything to tell them I’m still caring but don’t want to claim carers element or carers allowance and I’m getting nowhere. Help?! 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @CreativeG and welcome. :)

That sounds like an absolute nightmare, I'm so sorry they don't make things more straight forward for you! I'm still learning about UC, so I'm unable to offer any useful help, but I'm sure some of our regulars will be along shortly to help.
      Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the Universal Credit category, so more people in the know will be able to see it. Hope that's ok. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • CreativeG
    Options
    Thank you Albus! ☺️
  • A_CRUCE_SALUS
    A_CRUCE_SALUS Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    Try and get CAB on the case. DWP listen to the pros. Always remember when dealing with the state that patience is a virtue. Be positive.
  • CreativeG
    Options
    My patience with the state is a little thin right now 🙄😂 
    Thank you for replying, good advice. 
    Just to add, a screenshot of their position 🤔
  • A_CRUCE_SALUS
    A_CRUCE_SALUS Community member Posts: 19 Listener
    Options
    CreativeG said:
    My patience with the state is a little thin right now 🙄😂 
    Thank you for replying, good advice. 
    Just to add, a screenshot of their position 🤔

Blimey thats would appear as if AI has got better lately, or its an actuall hooman. I doubt its true because you used to have to apply for carers in any form and carers element was a little hidden gem. CAB again old chum :)

• CreativeG
    Options
    Ha ha! 😂 
    Again, thank you! Agree with what you said! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately, UC are correct. Although you are a carer because you're not claiming carers element or carers allowance then you will be treated as a job seeker. 

You can of course claim carers element again but this would affect your mum's SDP. Sadly, you can't have it both ways. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CreativeG
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, I’ve resigned myself to this fact now. Not sure how I’ll physically fit caring around a full time job, burnout probably 🤷🏼‍♀️😣 
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    CreativeG said:
    Thank you Poppy, I’ve resigned myself to this fact now. Not sure how I’ll physically fit caring around a full time job, burnout probably 🤷🏼‍♀️😣 
    Perhaps chat to your Mum and have a discussion about which is the better option, her losing SDP or the above. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CreativeG said:
    Remember that UC is not about the hours you work, it's about the earnings you receive. If your earnings are more than the AET for your circumstances then you should be in the light touch group anyway.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bernadetta
    bernadetta Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    You could also argue that you are a "relevant carer" although the DWP staff will probably not know what you mean. Relevant carer cares for sb with physical or mental impairment.

In my experience, the claimant had to provide evidence of impairment and their claimant commitments were updated to reflect the nr of hours they cared for this person, and in result, their Administrative Earnings TThreshold changed, as poppy said.

The relevant carer is explained in the DWP guidance following the regulations, although I do not remember which one. Probably worth googling it.

On the other note, although I understand not wanting your mum to lose SDP, carer element brings a lot of benefits, including as you noticed, their expectations on your job search, exempt from benefit- cap and in the long run will protect you from sanction, considering the current direction of the gov's approach (increasing number of sanctions)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.