Universal Credit and ill health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and ill health

Options
Karawen
Karawen Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the following situation that my son finds himself in:

He is 22, lives on his own and works a zero hour contract at McDonald's (but averages 25-30 hours per week).  He also muscular dystrophy, which his work have made adaptions for through providing a seat and additional breaks amongst other things.

His mobility is worsening and he suffers falls regularly, as well as pain and fatigue which limits his activities.  There is no cure or treatment and the muscle wastage is slow, but progressive.

The type of work he does, on the feet for the whole shift, is becoming unmanageable and is affecting his health so, it has come to the point, where he will have to give up work due to ill health and move in with me.  It is likely that he could do seated work, ie a desk job, but just can't continue in his current employment due to it's physical demands.

He was previously on PIP (standard DL), but this was stopped at review, last April.  He won his tribunal yesterday and has just been awarded enhanced DL (but no mobility as his mobility issues weren't a huge issue last April).  So that's a huge relief for him.

However, with regards to his universal credit, if he hands in his notice and cites his difficulties due to his illness, would he be sanctioned by UC?

We fully expect that he'd see a drastic reduction in UC because he'd be moving in with me.

As far as I'm aware, he hasn't undergone a fit to work assessment by DWP and the thought of having to do another assessment by the DWP after the battle that he's had to get his PIP reinstated, quite frankly, fills me with dread.  He would however, be able to get a letter of support from his MDT to support his fitness to work and his current limitations.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.