PIP

Options
Rockingmonkey24
Rockingmonkey24 Community member Posts: 19 Listener
 Finally got my PIP renewal through and entitled to the same, as my condition (long term health condition has got worse). 

However I get low rate care despite needing a lot of help/support plus I have mental health issues and my DR has said I have severe mental impairment. I have since had a letter from my DR confirming this, Should I send it in to PIP, will it help or potentially get me a higher rate ? 

I am worried it will effect what I already get.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,156 Championing
    edited April 8
    Options
    Hi @Rockingmonkey24 - having a letter from your Dr isn't anything you need to inform the DWP about as it just confirms your problems. If you were to do so, then this is termed a 'Change of circumstances,' & you'd be sent a new claim form to complete, very likely need another assessment, etc. Your whole award would be looked at again, which could result in your award staying the same, increasing/decreasing.
    to see if you feel you would gain sufficient points to change your award to the enhanced rate. Then if possible I'd seek advice from here: https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits   before proceeding, as yes, it could affect your award.
    poppy had previously also given the same link to Advicelocal. If you could find a Welfare Rights Office to help you, that's the best option.

• Rockingmonkey24
    Options
    Thank you again for your advice.  Yes Poppy helped with a ESA query before. I did look but I could not find a local one to me. CA unfortunately are no longer in my area and I am unable to get anywhere. I will continue to look for help and hopefully someone can help without me having to meet.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,283 Championing
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Rockingmonkey24 - having a letter from your Dr isn't anything you need to inform the DWP about as it just confirms your problems. If you were to do so, then this is termed a 'Change of circumstances,' & you'd be sent a new claim form to complete, very likely need another assessment, etc. Your whole award would be looked at again, which could result in your award staying the same, increasing/decreasing.
    You should look at the activities/descriptors again before doing so:

I read it as they had a decision on their review but they are not happy with the award remaining the same, despite their health conditions getting worse. 

Therefore a change of circumstances wouldn’t be needed.

@Rockingmonkey24 you can challenge the decision by requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration.

However, a worsening of condition doesn’t automatically entitle you to more points for higher award.

Whether it’s possible to score more points for a higher award will depend on exactly how your conditions affect you. 

I’d advise you to get some expert advice before proceeding further. If you do request the MR you need to put that in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. 

• Rockingmonkey24
    Options
    Thank you Poppy123456 this is what I was thinking and trying to get across. I will try and get some further advice and see if it is viable to go ahead. As mentioned I don't want to jeopardise what I have already been awarded. Thank you again.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,156 Championing
    Options
    You're right, poppy. I must have been having one of those moments! :s
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,283 Championing
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    You're right, poppy. I must have been having one of those moments! :s
    It’s not a problem, I have many of those moments too.