How to improve schools? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to improve schools?

Options
SpaceAce
SpaceAce Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi! I'm SpaceAce. I live in the US, so I don't know how much help I'll get here.

I'm just wondering what kind of accommodations are available in schools for disabled kids in the UK.

The way I see it, lots of kids go undiagnosed in the States, and that leads to burnout and mental health problems later on. It might even make kids act out more. Especially if there's sensory problems involved. At least that's what I think. I don't know of any sources on how having developmental disabilites as a kid might change behavior as a teenager.

But teachers here don't see that. At least when I was in school, some teachers acted like I was making mistakes or not understanding the work specifically to cause problems for them. They treated everything like a personal failing.

And when I was helping in an after school program, there was a girl who had ADHD, and was regularly punished for acting out by having her recess taken away.

I want to help kids get better accommodations and be better understood in school. I believe this can cut down on a lot of stress for everyone if there's a better emphasis on mental health, even for neurotypical kids. But I'm not a professional and I don't know how to get there.
She/Her pronouns please!
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As a UK site I'm afraid we will be of little help as your education systems probably differ greatly. But good luck.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• SpaceAce
    Options
    I was hoping for different opinions, even Non-US perspectives.

Things that work in one country can work in others. Despite what lots of people in the States say about it. 
    Thanks though.
    She/Her pronouns please!
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 605 Pioneering
    Options
    I did answer this but my comment got put in the approval queue
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 580 Pioneering
    edited April 11
    Options
    woodbine said:
    As a UK site I'm afraid we will be of little help as your education systems probably differ greatly. But good luck.
    He knows it's a uk site! Read his post again!

Why do you always assume that nobody will be able to offer any advice just because you can't?

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 605 Pioneering
    Options
    When I was at school it was hell on earth, I was being daily badly bullied from being different, kicked down stairs, put salt in my hair, tripped up, punched daily and spat on, sexually assaulted and constant name calling. Teachers were just as bad I had one teacher slap me in primary school and was fired for it. Some teachers didn't let me in the class room and most of the time I just sat above the tallest building alone contemplating jumping off. I was going through such a hard time at school that I would cut myself daily for some release and even today still have bad flashbacks to what happened to me as a teen.

It was only later on at age 20 I was diagnosed with Autism and ADHD which was the route of the cause. I also developed schizophrenia and started having symtoms of this at age 15. I am told that it is trauma based and developed due to what happened to me when I was younger.

So I don't think UK system is much better, I do hope things have improved since I was younger though and autism and adhd seems to be recognised more nowadays I finished school in 2007 so 17 years ago. I do vow though that if the day comes and I ever have children they will never suffer what I had to endure.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• SpaceAce
    Options
    I'm sorry people were so bad to you. I hope things have gotten better.
    She/Her pronouns please!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.