Carers allowance and direct payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and direct payments

Options
robynj
robynj Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I receive Carers Allowance for my 14yo daughter as she is entitled to DLA. My adult step daughter is also disabled and is moving out of home and it looks like she’ll be entitled to direct payments to pay for carers. I have unofficially cared for her for the last 4 years. Would my step daughter be able to ‘employ’ me as a PA (carer) - or could I not be a PA for her at the same time as getting carers allowance for my daughter? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,765 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 11
    Options
    Whether she could employ you as her PA will depend on the rules of your Local Authority because some don’t allow this. You will need to speak to them.

If it’s allowed then the earnings limit of £151/week will apply. Earnings of more than this and carers allowance ends. 

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility You must tell carers allowance if you start working. 
    Are you claiming any other benefits?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • robynj
    Options
    Thank you. My partner and I claim universal credit. I already do a little bit of freelance work but only earn about £25 a week and carers allowance unit and UC know about this. I guess I just wasn’t sure if it I could be caring for two people at the same time - and get carers allowance for one and direct payments for the other.
  • robynj
    Options
    Actually, that’s another potentially complicated issue - my partner (my step daughter’s mother) currently gets the carers element of universal credit. If I was to start getting paid through direct payments, would my partner still get the carers element top up in our UC? (My step daughter has multiple issues and needs a lot of care) 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Carers element is not affected by earnings. You won’t actually be paid through direct payments. Your step daughter will receive the payments and she will need to employ you, if this is possible. As I advised not all LA will allow this for family members. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.