Stairlift via disabled facilities grant issues and size — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stairlift via disabled facilities grant issues and size

Options
stairlift1234
stairlift1234 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

My dad has been assessed by an OT as needing a stairlift.

We live down a street of identical houses that were all built at the same time. The properties manager has told us the stairs are all the same size and has measured to check.

Our neighbour has a stairlift fitted. My dad has tried it and it fits him wonderfully. 

Stannah came out to measure our staircase and said it is 1cm too small and none of these properties would fit a stairlift. My dad was sat in the seat he was measured in without his bum at the back of the seat and couldn’t sit properly due to a metal bar in the way of his feet meant he couldn’t push himself back enough like he could on our neighbours stairlift. We were told the metal bar won’t be there on the final stairlift. My dad didn’t understand he needed to shift his bum back and the stannah guy didn’t explain this to him in a way he understood.

stannah told the GP he will need a through floor lift instead and was really trying to persuade the OT that he should get a through floor lift. My dad doesn’t want a through floor lift, as he looses the space where he stores his disability equipment and there is no other room for it. 

Stannah want to sell the top of the line fancy stairlift we felt. There are smaller stairlifts on the market - do we have the option on getting a different stairlift company to measure up and the DFG pays for it? 

We only need a straight track, our stairs are pretty straightforward. 

We seem to be being told Stannah makes the final call on stairlift vs through floor lift, which seems odd. 

The OT didn’t intervene and help my dad understand that he needed measuring, or play any part in it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.