nhs negligence — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

nhs negligence

Options
warton
warton Community member Posts: 15 Connected
I had acdf surgery in October 2023 but have got damage to my vocal chord nerve ever since I not been able to speak since then(just whispered) and I haven't been able to work since the surgery .Would it be worth to look at nhs negligence and if so how would I do this?

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,404 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @warton, sorry to hear you had a complication with your surgery. I think this is something that you're probably best getting some professional legal advice on. Citizens Advice might be able to point you in the direction of a local firm with the right experience. But I hope some of our members can offer their thoughts too.

I found some information about making negligence claims on the NHS website that you might like to have a look through as a start :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 493 Pioneering
    Options
    @warton I'm deeply sorry for the challenges you've faced following your ACDF surgery, particularly the vocal cord nerve damage that has impacted your ability to speak and work. 

If you suspect negligence on the part of the NHS, addressing it through a clinical negligence claim could be a course of action. To do this, gather your complete medical records, seek an independent medical expert's opinion for a second view, and consult with a solicitor experienced in NHS negligence cases. 

Time is of the essence, as there's a three-year limitation period for claims. Your solicitor can guide you through the process, from filing a complaint with the NHS trust to potential legal action if necessary. Keep in mind that this journey can be complex, so ensuring you have a strong case supported by your medical records and expert opinions is crucial.

• Meredithshep
    Meredithshep Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you had complications but I have recently seen a neurosurgeoun and been sent the information on this exact surgery and it does say that damage to nerves and voice changes as a result are a risk, it's a small risk but a recognised risk. I really don't think there's much you can do. I wish you well in your recovery 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,720 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Were you told at the time that this was a risk ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• luvpink
    luvpink Community member Posts: 81 Pioneering
    Options
    warton said:
    I had acdf surgery in October 2023 but have got damage to my vocal chord nerve ever since I not been able to speak since then(just whispered) and I haven't been able to work since the surgery .Would it be worth to look at nhs negligence and if so how would I do this?
    Hi you would have had to sign a consent form before your surgery and it should have stated any risks or complications and the surgeon should have informed you.
    you should have been given a copy of the consent form.

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 493 Pioneering
    edited April 26
    Options
    @warton

In the context of medical negligence claims, consent forms are not a blanket protection for any healthcare provider. If a patient can demonstrate that a healthcare professional breached their duty of care, and this breach directly caused harm or injury, they may still have a valid claim for negligence.

This means that even if a patient signed a consent form, they may still be able to pursue a claim if they can prove that the healthcare professional failed to meet the standard of care expected in their profession.

It's important to note that determining negligence in medical cases can be complex, and the outcome will depend on the specific details of your case, the standard of care expected, and the healthcare provider's actions. If you believe you have suffered harm due to negligence, despite signing a consent form, it is advisable to consult with a medical negligence solicitor to understand your legal rights and options.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.