If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension age looming 😮

Options
2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,065 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's because you're putting in your actual date of birth most likely. Put a date of birth that would mean you are state pension age now. A benefits calculator is just for your purpose, nothing to do with the Government and no one sees it only you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mrsBB
    mrsBB Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, I’m all set now and will fill them in tomorrow or over the weekend depending on how breathing is and will update you as soon as I know the outcome. Thanks again for your help with this, it means a lot. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re very welcome!! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Hi Poppy, just a little update. There is no capital in the joint bank account, it is solely used by husband to pay in for his own direct debits, so the money is in and out the same day with the odd pound or two left, it really is nothing, I did check. 

Also Poppy, I only just realised you had informed me above about additional possible entitlement to a ESA top up. would it be too late to do this with the pension application looming ? I am so overly stressed about rocking the boat right now. I have triple checked all savings, money coming in etc just so I don't mess up, I think most folk are really concerned about not declaring every penny it just gives us nightmares and so much added stress, plus does not help with breathing haha. 

I know you cannot tell me what to do, I appreciate that Poppy, but do you think its worth a shot sending for the ESA3 form ? I hate making these decisions and I think being the kind of person I am is probably why I never tried to claim ESA income top up in the first place. Thinking now, I have probably missed out on a lot of extra help I might have received but hey I can only look forward now not back. Had we got divorced and gone to court I know my spousal income would have been a lot lot more but for folk like us who have chronic illness and disability more stress is the very last thing we need. 

Anyway Poppy, I will do the calculator and think about the ESA top up and will update with any outcomes. thank you so much Poppy, you have been thoughtful and kind.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re very welcome!😊 it’s never too late to apply for the Income Related top up. 

Your spousal maintenance will reduce any top up £1 for £1 so whether there’s any entitlement will depend on how much maintenance you receive. You will need to make sure you tell them about that when you fill out the form.

The only downside is the ESA3 form is very long. You can see a copy of it here https://gmwrag.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/esa3.pdf

Yes you could have potentially been missing out on money, not forgetting the cost of living payments, free NHS treatment, such as prescriptions, dental and eye tests. 
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, very informative as always. Re missing out on money Poppy, what we don't have we don't miss, I have managed to just about keep afloat but it hasn't been at all easy at times.

Do we know how much a top up would be ? is there a set amount at all ? I was thinking if its not a lot and its pound for pound is it even worth filling in a long book lol ? Any answer is appreciated poppy. SCOPE are lucky to have you help so much. Take care as I know you have your own health problems to deal with.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes I agree that what we don’t have we don’t miss but times are very hard for so many people and some extra income is always nice. 

You would be entitled to the Enhanced Disability Premium (referred to as Disability Income Guarantee in ESA letters) is £20.85/week and Severe Disability Premium is £81.50/week. 

Please note that the figures quoted are this years increased rates so they would have been less in previous years.

Thank you also for such kind words! 

• mrsBB
    Options
    Hi and thank you once again Poppy. I am going to try and work out if it would be beneficial claiming once husband’s maintenance is included etc.

I am also a little worried when quickly scanning over that form that I might be called for assessment? Something I haven’t had for probably 20 years roughly, my last one was done on paper, it was years ago and I didn’t know I even had been awarded it, I only noticed when my first payment went into my bank ! The paperwork followed some time later. I guess I need to look at the pros and cons in depth a bit more or maybe just see if I should just concentrate on the pension credit side of things.

Reminder to self, finish those calculators today 🤣  Thanks Poppy 
  • poppy123456
    edited April 26
    Options
    Filling in the ESA3 form will not prompt another work capability assessment. 

They are still suspended for the majority of people in the Support group anyway. With you reaching state pension age very soon it’s highly unlikely that you will have another WCA now. 
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, with that in mind I will rethink again 😊
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you apply for Pension Credit you will need to make sure you tell them about the spousal maintenance because the same rules apply for that.
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Hi Poppy, yes I have just filled that bit in on one of the calculators, no way am I going leave anything out, I don’t want to give them any reason at all to come after me down the line. Thank you for the heads up though, much appreciated. I am getting there now with the online pension calculator, just having a little breather and coffee 😂 I just do a little at a time but will be back either with an update re result or more questions 😂 Thank you Poppy 😊
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Hi Poppy

well when I put todays date in as my DOB the Gov calculator says I’m not entitled to any credit, it may be because I go over some threshold with spousal income plus savings -  ( not in the many thousands bracket lol  ) . I did think there was no upper limit to get some credit ? Also I think I am totally lost lol 😂 I have Dyscalculia sort of Dyslexia but with numbers which does not help at all. 

I really am lost as on entitled to I do get credit ? I put in the same info lol 😂 
    Is PIP disregarded Poppy ? Also as I put in as being 66 now does it automatically take into account into account I will be getting state pension ? 

I just don’t get where I put in the same information and one says yes and the other says no 😜

I think I will leave it today now and try again perhaps tomorrow. I kept getting the weekly and monthly numbers all mixed up, they are all swimming in my head now lol.

Anyway Poppy that’s my little update 🤣 maybe I might be better just waiting until the 4th May and apply via help on the Gov site or at least get them to post the forms out and I can but try for credit.

If all else fails and if we don’t end up loosing PIP and until Husband retires in 2/3 years I will be able to manage as I have been doing, in fact the state pension is more than CESA so I guess that’s a plus. I said I didn’t think this would be easy haha and for me and number problems it definitely isn’t Poppy, thank goodness you have been here to guide me thus far. I can’t thank you enough Poppy 😊😊

• poppy123456
    Options
    Sorry for the delay been busy for the last few hours. Had my grandchildren today and they sure do keep me busy and wear me out. 

You are correct there's no upper savings limit to Pension Credit. The savings in £10,000 and for every £500 or part thereof over that amount there's a £1/week deduction. 

Whether there's any entitlement to PC will really depend on how much your state pension is, whether you'll have any other pensions and how much your spousal maintenance is. 

mrsBB said:
    Hi Poppy

well when I put todays date in as my DOB 

Then I'm not surprised at all that it said you weren't entitled because if you put today's date then that would mean you were only born today so there would definitely not be any entitlement.  :D
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Hi Poppy

Hope you are well on this miserable cold Sunday, yuck, I hate these days alone. I absolutely laughed out loud when I read your last comment Poppy, omg I really did do that with one calculator and a different date with the other I believe  :# I am so all over the place at this time lol, loving old age and all its wonders haha. 

Poppy I totally understand about Grandkids, love mine more than life itself but yes it is very tiring looking after them and draining in every respect, I'm with you on that although mine are older now so not too bad these days, in fact I only get the odd grunt if I'm lucky haha. 

I am going try both those calculators again but perhaps in 3/4 days when yes, I will be exactly 4 months from state pension age and maybe I might just not be born and claiming pension on the same day  :D:D

Poppy, you are a great asset here, thank you so much for your time and patients especially with someone with a head like mine lol its very much appreciated. I will be back with updates.

Gosh all of a sudden I have flash backs to being 17 and myself, my mum and my sister were all dancing to Dancing Queen in mums room, music on full blast, it was my 17th Birthday, remember it so well, where did the time go ! 
  • mrsBB
    Options
    Poppy I wanted to add that my SP forecast says £221 per week, maybe it is a little close to the point where extra credit is available. I have no idea if everyone with adequate NI contributions gets the same amount. Thanks again Poppy  
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.