Awarded LCWRA but no idea when I will be paid — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded LCWRA but no idea when I will be paid

Options
vikixc
vikixc Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello. I hope someone can help me try and understand this, I just need to know when I will be paid so I can let my landlord know and make arrangements to pay my rent arrears.

I got sick in October 2023 and submitted my first Sick note to UC in November, I was off work and received company sick pay until December 25th, so I didn't actually receive UC until February when I was sacked but I wanted to keep my claim open and kept reporting sick notes.

I tried to go back to work in January but I managed a week before I took bad again and ended up in hospital. I then submitted another sick note on 22nd Jan to UC. Since then, I have consistently submitted sick notes as I never returned to work.

I have had my health assessment on 8th April and received my award letter on 12th April. I understand that I will receive extra money but I need to know when. I called the UC phone today and they say I'm looking at the end of June but I don't know if this is right. Because it says 3 months from the day I submitted evidence, which I did in October, November, December, January, February, march and finally in April. 

As I went back to work on the 11th January, I am assuming that my award will be calculated from the day I submitted my note in January which means I should expect to be paid this month. Is that correct?

I usually receive my UC payment on 29th of each month. 

Please someone help me understand this 😭

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,675 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You said you provided your first fit note in November 2023, what date exactly did you do that? Were they continuous without any gaps from then until a decision was made on your WCA?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • vikixc
    Options
    You said you provided your first fit note in November 2023, what date exactly did you do that? Were they continuous without any gaps from then until a decision was made on your WCA?
    Apologies, I actually submitted my very first sick note to universal credit on 4th December, I got confused because I was sending these to my employer too. I told UC about my health change on 27th November. 

There was a gap in January as I went back to work when the sick note expired on 8th January.

but ended up sick again so I had to get a other note. That's why I figured it would start again from the day I submitted the sick note in January the exact date I submitted this was 18/01.

Also this month, The last one I submitted was exactly 1 day after the previous one expired because I couldn't get an appt at the GP. The previous expired on the 10th April and I submitted the next one on 11th April. The GP did date it from 10th April though to ensure there isn't a gap. 

Sorry, I'm in over my head with this stuff. I have applied for support too because I get confused. I really struggle with these things
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The 10 day gap in the fit note January will highly likely affect when the extra money is paid from because you're supposed to provide fit notes continuously until a decision is made on the WCA.

If they go from when you sent your fit note again on 18th January then your waiting period will be.. Jan/Feb, Feb/March, March/April... LCWRA starts from assessment period 23rd April to 22nd May and first payment will be 29th May.. no LCWRA element is owed. 

If they accept the gap and it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision then your waiting period will be Dec to March... LCWRA element starts from 23rd March to 22nd April and first payment will be 29th April. Either way, you will not be owed any LCWRA element. 

If you were receiving earnings and didn't have the work allowance then they may owe you some money from this. Again, when that applies from will depend on which fit note they go from. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • vikixc
    Options
    The 10 day gap in the fit note January will highly likely affect when the extra money is paid from because you're supposed to provide fit notes continuously until a decision is made on the WCA.

If they go from when you sent your fit note again on 18th January then your waiting period will be.. Jan/Feb, Feb/March, March/April... LCWRA starts from assessment period 23rd April to 22nd May and first payment will be 29th May.. no LCWRA element is owed. 

If they accept the gap and it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision then your waiting period will be Dec to March... LCWRA element starts from 23rd March to 22nd April and first payment will be 29th April. Either way, you will not be owed any LCWRA element. 

If you were receiving earnings and didn't have the work allowance then they may owe you some money from this. Again, when that applies from will depend on which fit note they go from. 
    Hello. I called them again. The lady I spoke to this time says my award began in December so I should see my extra payment this month. Which is pretty much what you have explained above. Not sure where the first person got June from, it just didn't sit right with me because it's a very long time. I didn't expect any back pay anyway, I'm just grateful that I have time to try and get myself in a well enough position to go back to work. Thank you for your assistance. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @vikixc and welcome to the community. :)

I'm glad Poppy has been able to help get to the bottom of this! Unfortunately the people you call at the DWP are in a call centre and don't always have all the facts available to them.  But I'm glad you have that date now. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • vikixc
    Options
    Hi @vikixc and welcome to the community. :)

I'm glad Poppy has been able to help get to the bottom of this! Unfortunately the people you call at the DWP are in a call centre and don't always have all the facts available to them.  But I'm glad you have that date now. :) 
    Thank you Albus, this is a helpful forum! 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    vikixc said:

Hello. I called them again. The lady I spoke to this time says my award began in December so I should see my extra payment this month. Which is pretty much what you have explained above. Not sure where the first person got June from, it just didn't sit right with me because it's a very long time. I didn't expect any back pay anyway, I'm just grateful that I have time to try and get myself in a well enough position to go back to work. Thank you for your assistance. 
    Due to the gap in the fit note and returning to work I would advise that your first payment will be May and not this month. Although, as I advised, it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision. 
  • vikixc
    Options
    vikixc said:

Due to the gap in the fit note and returning to work I would advise that your first payment will be May and not this month. Although, as I advised, it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decisiopoppy123456 said:
    vikixc said:

Due to the gap in the fit note and returning to work I would advise that your first payment will be May and not this month. Although, as I advised, it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision. 

If I recall correctly I did self certify when I went off sick from work the second time and I sent a journal message the day I went to hospital (15th Jan) so from 15th (my last day at work) till the 18th self certified then sent my sick note on the 18th, looking at my note my GP backdated that one to the 15rh Jan also. Idk, this whole thing has wrecked my brain, the whole process is confusing and overwhelming. All I know is they are calculating it from December which is what I was told today. I will tell my landlord may just to be on the safe side anyway. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    In a previous comment you said your fit note ended on 8th January and you didnt
    provide another until 18th Jan. That’s a 10 day gap. They don’t unusual accept a backdated fit note when it comes to working out when the extra money is paid from. Even if it was from 15th Jan that’s still a gap. 
  • vikixc
    Options
    In a previous comment you said your fit note ended on 8th January and you didnt
    provide another until 18th Jan. That’s a 10 day gap. They don’t unusual accept a backdated fit note when it comes to working out when the extra money is paid from. Even if it was from 15th Jan that’s still a gap. 
    Yes that was the one that was issued to  covere 4th December up to the 8th Jan. I have been ill sinnce October.
     when this sick note expired I didn't get another sick note until the 18th Jan because I went back to work on the 8th January - 15th January. I was in hospital for 3 days 15th - 18th, they are aware of this which is why there is a gap. I know they don't take it into account that's why I said I'm assuming that my assessment period starts in January which it likely does. I will find out for sure next week. 

Regardless, I'm grateful that I have been awarded it in the first place. 

Thanks for your help. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.