Velociraptor Awareness Day! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Velociraptor Awareness Day!

Options
Albus_Scope
Albus_Scope Posts: 4,350 Scope online community team

IT'S BEHIND YOU!

[image shows a small, feathered dinosaur on a white background]

I was going to leave the post there for fun, but yes, it is indeed Velociraptor awareness day today, so I thought I'd do a quick lesson all about our second favourite* Jurassic Park dinosaurs! 

Did you know that the velociraptors of old didn't actually look like they do on screen?  The ones we are used to seeing are more like another carnivore called Deinonychus antirrhopus, found during the late Cretaceous period in Asia? 

An actual Velociraptor would have been much smaller, around 2 ft tall, weighing around 100 pounds and had feathers! So they were slightly larger, much angrier turkeys. Murder turkeys if you will.

They were also solo hunters, which I guess would've made the films a lot less action packed and made Chris Pratt's job a lot more difficult! 

Are you a dino fan? Did you learn anything new today? Know any interesting facts about dinosaurs? And most importantly; What's your favourite dinosaur? :D 

Dilophosaurus was obviously the best. On a par with T-rex.
Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Opinions expressed are solely my own.
Neurodivergent.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,635 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fun Fact: A T-Rex never saw a Diplodocus.  They lived about 75,000,000 years apart.  :)
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,350 Scope online community team
    Options
    An excellent fact there @OverlyAnxious I think people forget just how long dinosaurs were around for, but not all were about at the same time! 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Options
    ' Don't go into the long grass!' 😂
    Not sure what is my favourite but the flying ones, Quetzalcoatlus, absolutely terrify me!
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,765 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 22
    Options
    I used to be obsessed with dinosaurs as a child :D was really into watching programs about palaeontology and things like that

I love how the dinosaurs evolved as well, some of the plant-eating dinosaurs got so large that they literally would be eating for their entire waking life, even if this meant eating plants while on the move, if they stopped for even a little while they wouldn't be able to maintain their body weight  (80+ tons)...till the "bigger is better" evolution went into reverse because they just got too big to find enough nourishment

I also remember reading all about an island with kind of miniature dinosaurs on it which had a kind of independent ecosystem and the dinos on there didn't need to evolve any bigger because they were all the "right" size relative to each other

For all I know this has probably all been proved nonsense in the 20+ years since I was into dinosaurs because science moves so fast :D 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fun Fact: A T-Rex never saw a Diplodocus.  They lived about 75,000,000 years apart.  :)

Didn't know that!!! But I think I remember a similar fact along the lines that humans today lived closer in time to later dinosaurs, than these dinosaurs were to early dinosaurs
  • JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    I have two on my balcony, well pigeons are related. ;)

My favourites are sauropods, the giant veg eaters. Was into dinosaurs & fossils as a kid & wanted to be a paleontologist, never happened of course. 

I think the biggest animals early humans had to contend with were woolly mammoths. Don't know how ferocious they could be, but many early tools have been found made from them. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.