Claiming ESA for the first time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming ESA for the first time

Options
Wobblylife
Wobblylife Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi guys,

Bit of a complicated one.

My wife has been out of work since 2023 as a fulltime carer looking after our 10 year old daughter who has a load of complex mental health needs. Social Worker involved, fam support worker, loads of professionals, recent Child protection conference so there are lots going to be happening this year to help my daughter.

I had to leave the family home for a few weeks "alligations" but I am back home now fulltime.

My daughter gets middle rate DLA, my wife gets carers allowance for my daughter and UC. I work fulltime for the NHS.

Because of the recent Child Protection Conference LADO have got involved with my work. Nobody has mentioned about me losing my job but and I work with adults but we could be under a CP plan for upto 2 years the SW thinks we may step down to a child in need plan at the next 3 month review.

I recently found out that being on a child protection plan could affect my job/lose my job I don't know yet it depends how HR want to proceed as been off sick supporting my wife as this would be down on my DBS check under other information.

If the worst happens I wouldn't be able to work with Vulnerable ppl (not great is it the best advice they can give to get better support for our complex daughter and I could lose my job over it)

Because of her complex needs it's needed 2 of us to support her if we are both unemployed I would find it difficult to return to work anytime soon due to her sleep patterns she can be awake all night, goes to bed at 7/8/9 am sometimes it's later afternoon.

Could we both get ESA payments because of the home life situation?. The GP and SW could support us in written evidance of the home life difficulties regarding working life.

Or would the job centre just say one of you has to look for work no matter what?

It would put me if anyone in a really difficult situation looking for future work if reality is me losing the NHS job of 17 years and the flexibility I had around my daughter.

Who would you speak to about the difficulties?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You mention your wife claims Universal Credit but if you’re living together as a couple then you should both be claiming this as a couple. Entitlement would be based on your joint circumstances. As a carer your wife will not have any work commitments. However only one person can claim carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after the same person so you won’t be able to claim that. This would mean you will be treated as a job seeker. 

ESA is for those unable to work due to health conditions. Not being able to work because of your daughters health will not mean you can claim ESA. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wobblylife
    Wobblylife Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

Yes we both get UC but I work so they take all that into account.

I would have to get a sicknote from the GP. Upon losing my job mentally I wouldn't be in a fit state to look for work at least for the short term.

My daughters needs are complex so getting a note from the GP wouldn't be an issue.

with my wife being a carer could I claim the ESA side of it?

I know our claim would change in the sense I wouldn't be working. I'm probably getting a bit too far ahead in terms of my employement but need to be prepared a little bit in the event I lose my job
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can claim New style ESA if you have the correct NI contributions from working in the previous 2 tax years but the ESA is deducted in full from any UC entitlement. However, what you can't do is give a fit note or claim it based on your daughter's needs. 

You can also report your health condition to UC and provide a fit note, if you finish work but the same applies here, you can't give a fit note based on your daughter's needs. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.