I'm confused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm confused

Options
Dave1993
Dave1993 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hello i am abit confused i am not very good at understanding stuff i suffer with schizophrenia and some places say i think that pip could be stopped for people with mental health does that mean all mental health and then theres this i read on another place 

"The Conservative Party leader also suggested some people with anxiety or depression could be better served with access to mental heath treatment rather than DWP payments."

it says it will be only for people with anxiety or depression i am so confused does anyone know whos pip is getting cut?

Comments

• Dave1993
    Options
    this is on a website

"PIP will no longer always be a cash benefit and fewer people will be eligible"

• Dave1993
    Options
    Also on the same website

"In addition, claimants with mental health conditions are to be targeted because “for all the challenges they face it is not clear they have the same degree of increased living costs as those with physical conditions.”
  • Dave1993
    Options
    also on the same website

“And we’ll also consider whether some people with mental health conditions should get PIP in the same way through cash transfers or whether they’d be better supported to lead happier, healthier and more independent lives through access to treatment like talking therapies or respite care.”
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,592 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There’s been several other threads here about this too. Nothing changes at the moment and no one is even sure whether there will be changes in the future. No other information has been given so no one knows anything other than what you’ve read.

There’s also a General Election this year so changes may not even take place at all.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dave1993
    Options
    i really don't want to go to talking therapy's the last time i went his solution was go for a run
  • kimkenzie202
    kimkenzie202 Community member Posts: 112 Courageous
    Options
    My partner also has Schizophrenia and does have expenses associated with his condition, because he cannot go out  unaccompanied(he has been attacked many times for his bizarre behaviour)we have to travel everywhere by taxi which cost around £80 a week also have to pay for damage to the walls due to him looking for hidden devices. Talking therapies don't work for Schizophrenia as it's a psychotic delusional disorder. Luckily as he is the Severe Disability Group for PIP I don't think he will be affected by these changes. 
  • kimkenzie202
    Options
    Dave1993 said:
    i really don't want to go to talking therapy's the last time i went his solution was go for a run
    Talking therapies don't really work for Schizophrenia as it's a psychotic disorder. Only thing that tends to work is anti psychotic drugs and not on everyone. P

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,661 Pioneering
    Options
    There’s been several other threads here about this too. Nothing changes at the moment and no one is even sure whether there will be changes in the future. No other information has been given so no one knows anything other than what you’ve read.

There’s also a General Election this year so changes may not even take place at all.
    This is 100% correct, worrying about something that can only be 'enacted' after the General Election, only if the Conservatives win, only if they there is a major 'miracle' will that happen.
  • birdwatcher
    birdwatcher Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Options
    I can understand your concerns Kim and Dave. My friend has schizophrenia. His life is difficult enough at times without fretting about Sunaks half baked ideas
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,374 Scope online community team
    Options
    As said previously and in other discussions, it's best to try not to worry too much about this as they're only in the discussions stage and a lot can happen between now and then. The reforms may never happen. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Dave1993
    Options
    Dave1993 said:
    Talking therapies don't really work for Schizophrenia as it's a psychotic disorder. Only thing that tends to work is anti psychotic drugs and not on everyone. P

i am on 160mg of latuda and 2 pills of fluzantine (i think thats the name i know i spelt it wrong tho)
  • kimkenzie202
    Options
    My partner is on 4mg Risperidone, the side effects cause him to have uncontrollable muscle spasms. 
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 606 Pioneering
    Options
    I have schizophrenia, I'm on Trevicta 3 monthly depot injections. I was on Paliperdone monthly injections for over 3/4 years and was stable on them so they moved me to a more covenient 3 monthly injection. I do take Risperidone tablets too now and then when my mental health isn't great for a boost or when in hospital.

As others have said I wouldn't worry or think too deeply into the discussions on benefits at the moment, the most likely outcome is tories won't be in power soon and will lose alot of seats in the next general election so most things probabley won't even come into place.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.