Hi, my name is SLF!I have now been told i have received an overpayment of UC which is over £1000. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SLF!I have now been told i have received an overpayment of UC which is over £1000.

Options
SLF
SLF Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, i am single mum and receive LWC benefit for myself as part of my UC. I have just been informed that my sons DLA has been approved which I have entered into the DWP UC online system. I have now been told i have received an overpayment of UC which is over £1000. 
So it seems that my LCW combined with the new DLA for my son means they do not pay the usual UC credit amount for my son as this is replaced by his DLA. As he is on the middle amount i think I am going to be worse off and owe them money.   They have not given me the figures yet just a note online.  Help please 🙏. Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,700 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 22
    Options
    Sounds like you're rather confused. Your son's DLA claim will not affect your UC in a bad way. You will still continue to receive the child element, as well as the disabled child element.

As he's been awarded middle rate care then you'll be entitled to the lower disabled child element. 

I can only assume that this overpayment is related to something completely different but it's impossible to advise without seeing the letter you received. If you post the letter here please make sure that you remove all of your personal details such as names, address, NI number etc etc. 

May I also ask if it's LCW or LCWRA that you're claiming for yourself? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SLF
    Options
    Hi, thank you for quick reply. That’s not what they are telling me now unfortunately.  I’m on LCW the long term version. I was initially given the impression that his DLA would be on top of my LCW and his child UC payment. To help me purchase special cutlery etc. 
    I am a single mum and hoped I would have a little more for his special items. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There’s no such thing as a long term version of LCW. 

DLA is not means tested so will NOT affect any UC you’re entitled to. It’s paid in addition to your current UC payment. 

As I advised you will also be entitled to the lower disabled child element, which will be included in your maximum UC entitlement. 

If they are deducting it then you need to request the Mandatory Reconsideration on that decision and you can do that on your journal. Give them a little reminder and tell them that DLA is NOT means tested. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SLF
    Options
    Thank you I will take it up with them as from your comments I feel more confident to do so.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. If you don't have any joy then contact your local MP. Tell them what's happened and they will contact DWP on your behalf. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @SLF and welcome to the community! 

I'm so glad to see Poppy has been able to help you out already, but I just wanted to pop in and say hello. :)
    I've moved your post to the benefits category, so more people seeking the same info will be able to find it quickly, I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.