Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is mickeymoush!

Options
mickeymoush
mickeymoush Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Comments

• Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member Posts: 23,632 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @mickeymoush Welcome to the Community. Have a look around and join in when you are ready. If you have any questions please ask. Take care.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 5,226 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @mickeymoush and a big welcome from me too!

It looks like you'd accidentally posted your discussion on your profile, so not many people will be able to see it.  Did you want me to post it on here for you? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • mickeymoush
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,166 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I just read what you posted on your profile so will reply to that. 

When claiming Universal Credit because it's means tested then you and your wife would have been claiming as a couple. Entitlement would have been based on your joint circumstances. As you had capital of more than £16,000 then it's correct that your UC would end. This is because you now have the means to support yourself with your inheritance.

Once your capital drops below £16,000 you can both reclaim UC. There will be a deduction of £4.35/month for every £250 or part thereof over that amount. 

Your wife's carers allowance and your PIP will not be affected and will continue as normal. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mickeymoush
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. It seems the system is flawed. Work hard all your life then when you get a disability you are on your own
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The savings rule applies to all means tested benefits like UC, council tax reduction and all the old benefits such as housing benefit etc etc. 

I don’t believe there’s any flaws in that and it’s not because you have a disability, it applies to everyone claiming means tested benefits. Thankfully PIP and carers allowance are not means tested so they continue. 

If you have any debt to pay off you can pay that and it will not affect your UC. Paying off debt is allowed for UC and will not be treated as deprivation of capital. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mickeymoush
    Options
    Thank you again for your knowledge of the system 
    yes i do understand that im lucky to inherited some money ,I am a worrier and procrastanate about the future having worked in construction for 45 years my body dont work like it used to im riduled with arthritas and ankolysing spondallitas ,and yes i do own my own home but for no thought of my own i will proberly have to rely on the benefit system for the rest of my life and yes im gratefull for what im awarded but it only covers basic living it doesnt allow for things like house insurance and maintaning a home  so what im saying is you work hard bring up a family do what are parents encouraged us to do to then see everything we worked for to slowly slip away from you 
    so if im am lucky to live a few more years im stuck with a home that i cant afford to run and downsizing is not a option as i have paid for all the adaptions on my 1 bedroom bungalow 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Had you claimed New style ESA when you finished work then that would have continued when you received the inheritance because it’s not means tested. 

Unfortunately when you claim a means tested benefits capital affects it and that’s the law. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.