Waiting for court hearing for PIP for mental health - can I get carers element for my son — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting for court hearing for PIP for mental health - can I get carers element for my son

Options
Lola1987
Lola1987 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Good evening all, I’ve been extremely stressed trying to work out what I’m entitled to and how to go about sorting everything when suffering extremely bad anxiety and OCD
i will try not to waffle on but I could really do with some help and advice.
Back in September 2022 I applied for PIP due to my ongoing bad mental health, OCD, anxiety and I’m waiting a assessment for ADHD… I got refused and now went through the mandatory process… waiting for a hearing…. The wait it really affecting me.
since then I have been awarded DLA for two of my sons. I’ve been informed I can get an enhanced rate on my UC which I now have. My friend mentioned the other day that I can get carers element for one child…. the only problem is that I’m really struggling to look after myself! I can’t drive anymore or use public transport… I hardly cook as I get so overwhelmed so my family ex partner is here cooking for us and running around after everyone…I know they are my children so I do give a level of care but I don’t know if it’s enough to warrant a carers element? Also will they deny me PIP if they see me claiming this? I don’t want to jeopardise any money I’m entitled to… I also don’t want to miss out on the carers element as the money would be really useful as my ex partner had to quit he’s job to help look after the children! Our youngest son is being put back a year at nursery because he can’t cope.He has just applied for carers allowance for him. I’m loosing so much sleep and I’m at breaking point with it all… someone please help. Many thanks 
Lola

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Firstly if you're claiming the LCWRA element of UC for yourself then you won't be able to receive carers element at the same time. This is because both elements can't be paid to the same person and you will receive the higher element only, which is LCWRA.

If you're not claiming the LCWRA element then claiming carers element doesn't mean the care you give has to be physical. It can be any level of care, even just being with them to comfort them like a mum does. 

People do claim carers element and/or carers allowance and PIP at the same time, I do. However, there could be issues if the care you give contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP. Mine doesn't contradict my claim and there's never been an issue but I'm not saying this applies to everyone. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lola1987
    Options
    Good morning Poppy thank you for your response I really appreciate your time.
    Do you think this will go against me with my pip claim? 
    I would probably say the level of care I give is just emotional support and a lot of talking and comfort… I hope this is enough?!
    I only get the lower LCWRA ( no payment ) I’ve applied for the full LCWRA but no response yet. 
    Many thanks 
    lola 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lower LCWRA is known as LCW. I’m afraid I can’t tell you for certain if there would be any issues with a potential PIP award if you did claim carers element. I don’t know anything about how your health conditions affect you. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lola1987
    Options
    Ok many thanks 😊 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.