Can we change how society view the vulnerable people — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can we change how society view the vulnerable people

Options
scottysmum
scottysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 25 in Coffee lounge
We don’t know how poverty and abuse affect people remembering a smile can hide a lot

Can we change how society view the vulnerable people 9 votes

Time to educate
55% 5 votes
No
44% 4 votes

Comments

• scottysmum
    scottysmum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Please remember everyone is human and feeling is real could be a crisis of life and death think 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,644 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 25
    Options
    Survival of the fittest is an evolutionary trait found in all living things.  Vulnerability will always be considered a weakness and taken advantage of by the stronger party.  I don't see that ever changing.  Especially not in a judgemental, capitalist society.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious I think you are spot on about natural traits but I have to say I think a lot of communist states are hard on perceived weakness as well

I know you didn't say they weren't, mind, but just saying I don't think there's any economic policy that (without adding extra protections) naturally favours disabled people
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,373 Scope online community team
    edited April 25
    Options
    I think there are definitely some elements of survival of the fittest that are evolutionary as others put it, and I'm not sure whether it'll ever be possible to completely overcome that. 

But part of me likes to hope that society can change. It's a huge and very slow process, but we are already a lot kinder as a society to some vulnerable groups who were ostracised in the past, so that gives me at least a small speck of hope! 

Welcome to the community, by the way @scottysmum
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • hyancinth
    hyancinth Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    Options
    Survival of the fittest is an evolutionary trait found in all living things.  Vulnerability will always be considered a weakness and taken advantage of by the stronger party.  I don't see that ever changing.  Especially not in a judgemental, capitalist society.

This saying only applies to the non human animal kingdom where those with the muscle to fight to the death physically survive. I wont give examples but fighting for a territory on a boundary line is brutal. A word we dont as humans like to associate with. It is not to be proud of.
    Or a littermate that has a defect its mother painfully senses and after some time and no doubt heartbreak she has to leave baby behind, as in the animal world theres no charitable back up. Or community intervention. Animals are compassionate and sensitive but we excel. Our most infirm and vulnerable bring out instincts of incredible compassion in just about everyone. To be human is to be exceptionally kind towards those needing it most.
    It is not to be ashamed of.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,720 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm having a period away from scope but have popped in to see how it's going, the change that is needed has to come from the very top and by that I of course mean government and whilst we have a govt. hell bent on demonising the sick, disabled and vulnerable I don't see much hope.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.