Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Thanks to Cardiff Council.

Options
onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 768 Pioneering
edited April 25 in Coffee lounge

I wrote this around the same time as the Playground access.

I would just like to say thank you to Cardiff City Council Parks Department for the projects started to make our parks Kid Friendly and also to start projects in Schools to get kids to look at what the parks around them need to make them friendly for all including the Disabled and Handicapped.
  We all know the saying  "Some disabilities are hidden, and others cannot be seen."
  As you know I like to write poems so with this in my mind and with kids in tow, I wrote this:

Disabled Kids. 

Did we need Health and Safety to tell us what to do

To swing up and down without a safety bar or seat,

Did we need Health and Safety to be pushed around that top

The one that made you dizzy just before you fell off

Did we need Health and Safety to climb up that big slide?

And put our jumper under our knees to come down at jet speed

Yes, we did need Health and Safety, to show us how to stop,

When we came flying off the end, a crumpled mess, and an abrupt stop.

Did we need Health and Safety to surround the play and park areas,

Or were we allowed to run free, not being bothered by a soul

Did we need Health and Safety, to build that secret den

It was so secret, hidden, from all of them.

Did we need Health and Safety to build that Bonfire high?

No, it came down to protecting it, from gangs, nicking all our wood. 

Did we need Health and Safety, to swing on that monkey frame,

Our weight upon our fingers, just dangling on that steel frame.

Oh, did I forget to tell you I’m Disabled as well?

So others look after my Health and Safety, and my Dad, is one as well?

So when you think of Health and Safety spare a thought for me,

And, just think how many people, are looking after me.

So when you run around that park, shouting out aloud

And remember my Dad’s been here before you checking all around.

My dad likes suggestions, to help that park fill up

with all those screaming kids, enjoying what he has just put down

to see them running around is not all down to him

but suggestions from schools, and the kids from that school trip last year

Dave [removed by moderator - personal information]

22/04/2024.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 14,984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nice one @onebigvoice

Some people made a complaint that a playground near us was not up to scratch from a health and safety point of view

The council responded by dismantling the playground and removing it, so now it's an empty field

Solves the issue from their end, I suppose, but shows how complaining can backfire!!!
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 770 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nicely written.  All kids deserve the chance to play regardless of 'ability'

Health and safety is all well and good, common sense more so sometimes ?

Nice poem, it's brought back a memory of when I was working in the forestry and was using a 'breaker bar' ... essentially a tool to lift or twist trees that are stuck down

A HS Executive watched me using one, and told me I was using it wrong ... push away not pull towards me he said.  Studies show it's safer ...

OK I said ... did it his way and lost a tooth and gained a hole in the cheek.  He soon disappeared when he saw my face.  Since then I've no respect unless the HSE have actually done the job.  College and paper is all good, doesn't trump experience ?

Back on track ... our playground growing up ... witches hat roundabout ... what a vicious thing when the older kids give it 'the bumps' ... think rodeo riding on a metal frame

The slide was 50 foot high with a small safety bar at the top and the swings were 60 foot high, and people used to do loop the loop ... do a complete 360 over the top of the frame

... all on a floor of tarmac and grit.  I can't remember any serious accidents.  Would be carnage these days
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    Sounds like our playground in the Docks Cardiff.  With the 10 seater horse.  Did you have one in your ground.
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    Nice one @onebigvoice

Some people made a complaint that a playground near us was not up to scratch from a health and safety point of view

The council responded by dismantling the playground and removing it, so now it's an empty field

Solves the issue from their end, I suppose, but shows how complaining can backfire!!!
    Tell me where that was.  I'd like to know about that.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,238 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just a quick note to be aware of your personal safety if you do share locations. General locations are okay, but don't identify yourself too much if this playground is close to home :)

Thanks for sharing your poem @onebigvoice!
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    Just a quick note to be aware of your personal safety if you do share locations. General locations are okay, but don't identify yourself too much if this playground is close to home :)

Thanks for sharing your poem @onebigvoice!
    It was not meant to get anyone in trouble but to see why the council after being given a directive to "brighten up Play grounds and make them more accessible for disabled or Handicapped children would have been given a budget for this, and I wondered where the money went?  With a possibality of getting more funding for them. 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,238 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nobody's in trouble :) I know it makes some stuff difficult to discuss, but just something to be aware of safety-wise. 

It would be interesting to know what they did with the money if they were given funding. Seems very counter-intuitive just to bulldoze a playground without putting any other facilities in.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    The bottom park in Roath behind the library has had a section Bulldozed and is in the process of having an "addition" to the play area next to to library.  It is quite a big area and will increase the pay area by 50 %. So lets see what they put in there, and have started about 2 weeks ago, while refurbishing the drains around the park.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.