WCA and Mental Health, Quick Q! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WCA and Mental Health, Quick Q!

Options
worryworm95
worryworm95 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi Scopers! I'll make it short, basically I've been asked by DWP to take a WCA (Work Capability Assessment) as my Doctor wrote me a fit note from now till July (due to mental health issues I've had in the past year the type of work I can do is limited e.g- I can make stuff for my small business and work as a nanny or dinner lady but not work in a school 9-5). I had a phone call on Tuesday where they explained what the WCA was and if I gave consent for my doctor to be contacted, because this is the first time I've had to do anything like this I asked for time to think about it but I have now given consent as I figured anything that helps the process is a good thing. I was just wondering if anyone had positive/ informative/helpful experiences of dealing with the WCA process to share as I'm still quite anxious. Also, does it affect what date you're paid? (I'm usually paid my UC at the beginning of the month). Thankyou in advance and Chag Sameach to my fellow Jews xx
Tagged:

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @worryworm95

I had my WCA quite a while ago, but I'd say it was a reasonably positive experience. Mine was an in-person assessment and they asked questions about my conditions and how they affect me. It lasted about half an hour, but I've heard that they can be longer or shorter too, the length and what they ask can be quite varied from person to person. I was very anxious about it, but brought someone with me for moral support and found that quite helpful. My assessor was kind and understanding, and I feel they made a fair and reasonable decision, so overall it was quite positive if a little stressful! 

I don't think it changed my payment date, but I don't quite remember, so maybe another member might be able to offer better advice there.

I hope yours goes well and you get the result you're hoping for :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • worryworm95
    worryworm95 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Options
    @Rosie_Scope ahh ! thank you so much!! <3 How long did you have to wait to hear back from them?
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @worryworm95 I don't think it was very long, weeks rather than months, but as I said, it was a while ago so things might have changed since then. Hopefully one of our members has had a more recent experience and can share how theirs went :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options

I had a WCA about 6 months ago now, it was all very polite and easy going and lasted about an hour. I was found LCW (not LCWRA) about three weeks after my assessment. But overall I found it a very easy experience. 

My top tip is to write important talking points down on a piece of paper, that way when the nerves kick in, you wont forget. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,659 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Most people have assessments so you should expect one of those. They are mostly by telephone but some are face to face. 

When they contact a GP (rarely) they usually send them a tick box form known as UC113. 

If found to have LCWRA you will receive extra money from the 4th month after you provided your first fit note. You must continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your claim. Gaps in your fit notes will affect when the extra money is paid from. 

If found to have LCW then there's no extra money each month. 

Your payment dates will not change. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.