Church and Mental Health — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Church and Mental Health

Options
TheHaddok
TheHaddok Community member Posts: 4 Listener
In 2014 to 2016 I made some bad decisions because of my mental health and as a result I was effectively kicked out of the church (I was a minister at the time). Now some 8 years later and after a lot of intense therapy I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder and Complex PTSD, both of which would have contributed to my poor decision making at that time. The inquisition (and it can only be called that) which led to my being excommunicated never once questioned if my decision making, which was totally out of character, was due to mental health issues. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or had a better experience than me? To clarify, the reason given for my excommunication was that I had coffee with a woman who later became my wife whilst waiting for my decree absolute to come through.

Comments

• Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,908 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The “ church “ has a lot to answer for. They keep abuse inside their own walls. Yet you couldn’t have a coffee with a female. 
  • hyancinth
    hyancinth Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
    Options
    Dont beat yourself for this, dear Lord. Youre already fragile and they turned against you. Would God himself?
    Religion can be a comfort and a foundation but its not good to be indoctrinated, held to ransom and a stick to punish yourself with.

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 508 Pioneering
    Options
    I think this post is in the wrong section?
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 14,908 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Having God’s in our life’s can be a real comfort. I have a few Gods. But the institution of church can be criminal. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.