Esa end claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa end claim

Options
Kate806
Kate806 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi all my brother wants to end he’s ESA does he just call up and say he wants to end it, he isn’t sure how it all works. He’s being given a position which is over the permitted work hours from next week onwards. Do you just say I want to end my claim with immediate effect does anyone know?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes he will need to ring them and tell them. His ESA will then end. 

Before he does that has he checked entitlement to Universal Credit? You can work and claim this as there’s no hours/earnings limit. 

He will have the work allowance too which means he can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before any deductions apply.

If he’s in the Support Group for ESA then he will be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of his claim. 

It would be worth him using a benefits calculator before ending the ESA claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kate806
    Options
    Hi there poppy on the benefit calculator it worked out as he’s not entitled to any extra help well that’s what I said at the end of the calculation . He is working for a company that employ people with additional needs. He has a lot of problems mental health wise also autism ect it’s a big worry because we don’t know how he is going to cope. Thanks so much for the input my mum will just call the esa line tomorrow to say can he end the claim she has been the appointee for my brother for a long time. I see online they can get a rapid reclaim within 12 weeks if there is any problems 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 25
    Options
    Are you sure you filled out the benefits calculator correctly? It’s only as good as the information you put into it.

If he’s in the Support Group for ESA then please make sure you tick Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) 

If his ESA is all Income Related then you can’t make a rapid reclaim because Income Related ESA no longer exists. It would be UC that he will need to claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kate806
    Options
    Sorry for my late response he says he did fill it out correctly so not sure what’s going on and why he wouldn’t be eligible for U …Also he is looking to move in with he’s disabled gf I recently contacted the housing benefit department and they said they will need to know the date he leaves and he’s forwarding address. Do you know why they would need he’s forwarding address at all? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.