Hi, my name is Clifton! any one got any advice or have been to a work tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Clifton! any one got any advice or have been to a work tribunal?

Options
Clifton
Clifton Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 26 in Work and employment
I'm taking my ex employer to a tribunal for disability discrimination unfair dismissal & i was a whistle blower during covid as employer didn't follow government guidelines, any one got any advice or have been to a tribunal? Thanks 

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,488 Scope online community team
    edited April 26
    Options
    Hey @Clifton and welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your work tribunal, the added stress can't be easy. I'm afraid work law isn't my strong point so I don't have any advice to give. But I've updated your posts title and have moved it to the work and employment category, so hopefully more people in the know will see it and be able to offer some more support. I hope that's ok? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Clifton
    Options
    Thanks so much, just joined so didn't realise there's different categories. Take care.
  • Scrumptious67
    Scrumptious67 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Clifton said:
    I'm taking my ex employer to a tribunal for disability discrimination unfair dismissal & i was a whistle blower during covid as employer didn't follow government guidelines, any one got any advice or have been to a tribunal? Thanks 
    Hi Clifton, I haven't been through the tribunal system yet but have been looking into this a lot as I may have to soon go through this process for disability discrimination myself. I have found lots of resources that could help you and have improved my own knowledge a lot.  Feel free to give me a shout, I know it's a very stressful process to get through.
  • Clifton
    Options
    Hi  thanks for your reply. I've done similar, a solicitor wanted to charge £495 an hour & would take 3hrs but found someone for £100 an hour plus vat but i think I'll put s counter offer in myself as I have no problem going to a tribunal. On citizens advice website they state they assess your case for you i made it easy for them as i wanted an idea of what to put for ill feeling, they said take the offer & move on, so i was really annoyed about that, are you getting a solicitor?
  • Scrumptious67
    Scrumptious67 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Clifton said:
    Hi  thanks for your reply. I've done similar, a solicitor wanted to charge £495 an hour & would take 3hrs but found someone for £100 an hour plus vat but i think I'll put s counter offer in myself as I have no problem going to a tribunal. On citizens advice website they state they assess your case for you i made it easy for them as i wanted an idea of what to put for ill feeling, they said take the offer & move on, so i was really annoyed about that, are you getting a solicitor?
    Hello again, I'm not getting a solicitor as I can't afford one.  I have been using Valla to record my case notes and put everything in order and will likely ask them to to do a case assessment for me. 

I can understand your frustration with the advice you were given, it's just not that easy to move on until you get that sense of justice.  I may decide to settle if the offer is good but it's going to be all about negotiating with them as I know they come in with an insulting offer.  I've seen what the tribunal award scales are so I won't accept anything lower. If they won't budge then off to tribunal. 
  • Clifton
    Options
    Hi, Never heard of valla, can you get advice from them as well? 
     Have you used this https://www.monacosolicitors.co.uk/free-settlement-agreement-calculator

Totally agree with you. my friend who was a civil servant so then was a great pension, he had a meeting with their barrister, ACAS who were really helpful his union representative who really let him down, my union dropped me after paying in for 31yrs I'm disgusted!! They started at 20k he took 28k but now wishes he'd gone to tribunal as it was disability discrimination & would of got a pension payments.discrimination isn't capped so could be decent £££ you probably already know this already? Have you done a schedule of loss? Statutory rights, pensinon, 8% interest, 25% uplift if they haven't followed ACAS CODE OF PRACTICE. ill to feeling payment I was at a loss with this hence citizens advice however I've read a lot of cases & solicitors websites so I'm thinking 18k however obviously up to judge.take care buddy, nice to know I'm not on my own, it seems everyone advises to take a lesser settlement...why should we! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.