Current school closing and applying for new with EHCP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Current school closing and applying for new with EHCP

Options
sharrel31
sharrel31 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi my daughters school has been closed down by the council so she will need to be in a new school for September, she has a EHCP and her key worker that is consulting with the schools of my choice doesn’t reply to any emails I send and doesn’t call me, I had to ring her for a whole week and finally got through and then I asked her have you heard back from the schools and I could hear her logging in to her computer and she said yep h Yh he have both said NO and I asked her why she told me 1 reason and m never told me why the other school said NO and told me she will ring me next week to discuss it with me. Is that normal? And then I said so what happens if I want to appeal she said well we can but I have to make sure there refusal is right by the laws of the EHCP so I said ok. I said to her my daughter is so distressed she’s not eating or sleeping all the kids know what schools there going to ect and she has no idea as we have to go through the sen at our local authority and I’m really just getting such a bad vibe from this wine she’s doesn’t even reply to the current school as they are trying to get hold of her and I feel like if she can’t reply to the school senco is she even replying to the schools for me or even want to help fight the decisions with me I just feel so stressed as she keeps telling me we have until July baring in mind we got the bay half term coking up so that pauses things and then July is like 11weeks away and the process of consulting with other schools and fight them for the right decision doesn’t take 1week I’m feeling really stressed does anyone know if I can request to have another key worker instead of this 1????
Tagged:

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    edited April 27
    Options
    @sharrel31 Welcome to Scope.

As a parent, you have the right to expect a certain level of service and communication from the key worker. It's essential to hold them accountable for their actions and advocate for your daughter's needs.
    To address your concerns, ask to meet with the SEN manager to discuss your issues and request a change of key worker. Be prepared to provide specific examples of the problems you've experienced, such as delayed responses and lack of progress updates, and explain how these issues have affected your daughter's situation.
    Keep a record of all communication with the key worker, including emails, phone calls, and meetings. This will help you track progress and provide evidence of any issues with communication and progress.
    Don't be afraid to reach out to your daughter's current school for support and guidance. They may be able to provide additional information or assistance in navigating the situation.
    Remember to stay strong and assertive in advocating for your daughter's needs. With persistence and the right support, you can work towards finding a suitable school placement for her.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,270 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sharrel31 Welcome to the Community from me too. IPSEA might be able to help you they are Independent Providers of Special Educational Advice.

https://www.ipsea.org.uk

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.