If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Successful PIP Tribunal & UC Question

Options
alittlebitalexis
alittlebitalexis Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hi everyone! 
I posted about my PIP assessment and MR experience last July and wanted to give an update. I had my tribunal two weeks ago and was awarded enhanced living and standard mobility (originally applied April 2023). The panel were extremely understanding and the questions they asked really allowed me to explain my difficulties clearly. I'm so happy and relieved! I'd just sent new pieces of evidence when the appeal was requested and that was it; I just wanted to forget about the whole thing as it was so stressful. I understand that it may take around 4 weeks to hear from DWP, but I'm also wondering if my UC deductions will be recalculated for my Student Finance. I enrolled on a part-time degree course but received no Special Support Element (SSE) as I wasn't receiving any qualifying benefits so none of my maintenance loan was disregarded. Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,046 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There should have been a £110/month disregard whether you were claiming a disability benefit or not. What I am surprised about is that you were able to continue to claim UC as a full time student unless you're responsible for a child and the child element is included in your UC claim. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • alittlebitalexis
    Options
    The course is part time and I am responsible for a child and have the child element included in my claim. I’m not sure why it’s surprising that I claimed UC as a student? 
  • poppy123456
    edited April 29
    Options
    I’m not sure why it’s surprising that I claimed UC as a student? 
    Full time students can only usually claim UC in certain circumstances. As it's only part time it's irrelevant anyway. It's also unusual to have a maintenance loan when you're a part time student, which is why I thought you were full time. 

My advice is still the same the disregard should have applied in the calculation of deductions anyway. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • alittlebitalexis
    Options
    Yes, the disregard of £110 was applied, however I didn’t receive the SSE disregard because I wasn’t claiming PIP. I’m wondering if that will be recalculated retrospectively now that I’ve been awarded. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The SSE (special support element) should have also been disregarded because PIP is irrelevant to that too. There's some information here that may help.https://www.uceplus.co.uk/england

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.