If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What will happen to my parents

Options
rainybean
rainybean Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Looking for info on my parents behalf.

My father currently receives ESA and is in the support group. My mum is his carer. They are a mixed age couple and my father becomes a pensioner in May so they have been advised to start a UC claim.
They have claimed this, started it last week so unaware so far of award. But they mentioned my dad's in ESA support group and mums his carer. Had their ID verification appointment and also both been told they have no work commitments. 
My question is if dad swaps from ESA support group to LWRCA, will this element of UC stop once he becomes pension age? 
He also gets PIP standard rate on both daily living and mobility 
Thank you for any help given 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,184 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 29
    Options
    The LCWRA will continue when he reaches state pension age because they are a mixed aged couple. 

Your mums carers allowance will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. She will need to make sure the carers element is included when she has her statement.

Once your dad reaches state pension age he will need to make sure he reports the changes because UC don’t always pick this up. 

He should have already claimed his state pension. Once this is in payment it will also be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

If any part of his ESA was contributions based this will continue until the day before he reaches state pension age but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. It will then stop on his birthday. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rainybean
    Options
    So the LWRCA will continue even though he's only had it for one assessment period because he was entitled to the ESA equivalent, is that correct?

Sorry, I've never had anything to do with UC myself before and neither have they before now so its all very confusing. 

They are aware of his pension and her carers allowance being deducted £for£. And his ESA is income based 

Thank you for answering Poppy
  • poppy123456
    Options
    LCWRA is part of UC so yes it will continue because he was in the Support Group. 

Don’t be sorry, UC is very confusing for most people. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rainybean
    Options
    It is very confusing.

One member of staff said like yourself that it will continue but the 'work coach' he saw today to confirm no work commitments etc seemed to be of the understanding it will end once he's a pensioner in May.

When members of the same team tell you different things it makes it even more confusing 

Thanks again Poppy 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The person that told you it would end is wrong. It would end if he was a single person because UC would end. As part of a mixed aged couple then it continues as normal. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.